1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

80 chevy just came in!!!

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by GSS LLC, Mar 6, 2013.

1. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

Ok, its not as nice as the 2013 ford, but I bought this truck for less than the other guy will spend in dock fees. lol.

1983 c3500 with a 454, manual tranny, 2wd, and an omaha standard pto driven dump box. In solid shape for what it is. needs floorboards and rocker panels, and exhaust work. paid 600 for the truck. everything works too!

my plan is to mount my vbox sander in it and use it for a sanding truck. maybe see if i can fit a liquid setup on along with the sander, dont think it will fit though. I dont know if an undertailgate unit would work with this? i know nothing about them or if they are any good at all. will have to do some research.

0220131600.jpg

Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
  2. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

looks sweet, I like the chrome around the door.

3. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

That's a nice find. I was just looking at a new King Ranch dually & was taken back just a bit by the 80k price tag. You paid less than some new truck buyers will pay on a single payment.

4. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

and guess what, i can still charge the same per ton applied as the guy in the 80k truck. only difference is. after spreading 20k in sand, ill have 19400 dollars in my pocket, and the other guy will still owe 60k on his truck.

oh, and when i run into this truck with the skidloader bucket, i say "whoops" and continue on my way. the other guy goes into convulsions.

5. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

great deal for 600 bucks!!

6. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

:laughing:

That looks like a truck that's ready to get some work done. Thumbs Up

7. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

That's a wicked good deal for $600. Nice truck.

8. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

Must have been done over once before where it has a 73-80 front clip on it.

9. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

edit, its a 78. according to the heartland body vin tag on it. 10k gvwr. its a war wagon, just drove it home. This summer ill give it some tlc, check out the steering, a set of studded tires on the back, new tires up front, shocks. make it safe, but not spend too much money. I can now say i own a dually and a big block, two firsts for me.

10. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

I wish I could find nice stuff like that. Thumbs up 2 u.

11. 4wydnr

4wydnr Senior Member
    from N. IL

Sweet truck! It brings back memories of my childhood. My dad drove a black 1980 3/4 chevy truck for years. Hope it makes you a ton of money.

12. DieselSlug

DieselSlug PlowSite.com Addict

Good deal! Not a lot to go wrong on that rig, very tough setup!

13. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

nice looking older truck

14. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

The problem I see with an undertailgate spreader on that truck......

The box hangs way past the rear of the truck. When you dump salt to the rear, it's going to be a bear for the box to fall back down by just gravity. If the cylinder is a two way cylinder, then you'll be OK as the hydraulics will pull it down. If the valve is just a one way valve, you might be able to convert it to a two way valve.

If you don't have a plow on the front, then the salt will be at the back of the bed potentially making the front end too light for just salt runs.

Not saying it can't be done, just might want to consider it before buying a spreader.

15. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

If the hinge point is at the end of the box you should also be OK.

And, you'll need to make up some pillars on the rear corners to take the weight of the under tailgate spreader also.

So, if it were me, I would go with a poly V-box, though I personally despise V-box spreaders.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  16. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

i will probably just use the v box i already have. undertailgate may be in the future but is unlikely,.

for a laugh, i know a guy that has "his branch" that he uses to push his dump truck box back down when low on sand. he always runs low to where it wont gravity back down in the same lot on his route, so he backs under this tree, and the big branch pushes the box down....

17. scott3430

scott3430 PlowSite.com Addict

Nice find for only $600!

18. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

GSS I see in another post of yours you said you had a few other 73-87 GM's. I'd like to see them.

19. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

good news bad news time.

the good...
    steering and suspension parts are all good
    all u joints are good
    tires are all good
    brakes are all good.
    lights are all good.

the bad.
    needs a water pump.

so overall im thrilled!

heres a pic of my other trucks..
    [​IMG]

LINK TO THE THREAD WITH ALL THE RESTO PHOTOS...
    http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=137279

20. RJ lindblom

RJ lindblom Senior Member

Water pumps are an easy fix. Good looking outfit. Was that original picture taken near Springfield?

Are you ready for 3 to 6 inches and 40 MPH winds this weekend?