1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

80 amp electric motor controller for spreader conversions

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by joeyg999, Jan 20, 2013.

1. joeyg999

joeyg999 Member
    from Kansas

Check this out on flea bay

Supply Voltage: 8 to 48 Volts DC
    Load Current: 80 AMPS Continuously, with Resistance and Inductive loads
    120 AMPS for short periods of acceleration (up to 10 sec.)
    Range of regulation: PWM 0 to 100% of power
    Overheating protection: When the module is overloaded, power is automatically
    decreased, in order to protect mosfets from destructio

I wonder if this would work to control the motor speed for electric motors for spreaders has any one ever tried one?
  2. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

Considering the prices I seen for DC motor controllers when we were looking for one, that is way cheap - I would of tried it for what we were doing, contolling a single function on a cheap motor.

It seems like wicked vodoo to just simply control the voltage to a DC motor for a simple salt spreader - I shoulda stayed in school and got that EE degree.
  3. hatefulmechanic

hatefulmechanic Senior Member

You need to PWM the signal, if you rely solely upon a resistor the heat in the controller would destroy even a steel housing.

MOSFETs are a prime way of doing this, and honestly it looks to be a well done setup.

Might hafta try one out.