1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

'80 350 stalls after warm up, please help!

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by michael_j_w, Feb 22, 2007.

1. michael_j_w

michael_j_w Junior Member
    from oregon

Hi,

I have a 1980 gmc sierra grande 1 ton pick-up with a 5.7l. It had some issues with the ignition system (burnt wires, a roter that had come unscrewed inside the distributor, black gooy stuff on the plugs) so i replaced cap, roter, coil, wires, and plugs. any now that it sould be running better than every (and is for the first 2-3 min.) it refuses to run after its warm. I start it and it stalls, sounds just like i turned the key off, no rumbling or post ignition, it just stops. doesn't matter if i play with the pedel or not, in fact some times stepping on the gas makes it die. Prior to this tune up it would run really ruff but it was semi-drivable. If any one could suggest what i might try next i would really appriciate it. Thanks a lot!

Michael

2. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

1st change the fuel filter and all other filters including the PCV.

I believe this is a carburetor engine?

Could be your choke. It was a common problem on those. It will close up after warmed up and the truck would die.

If it is starting back up afterward I would look at the choke maybe 1st.

But I would still replace every filter on the truck.

3. Plowfast9957

Plowfast9957 Senior Member

First thing that came to my mine was fuel/carb. as reaper said. Follow his suggestions and find someone who knows about adjusting carbs.

4. douglasl330

douglasl330 Senior Member

If you changed the wires--do a quick check on the firing order also! I' ve mixed them up when in a rush before! truck would run--but not up to snuff== Any chance you knocked off a vac line? or cracked an old one when working in there?

Just a thought--- these won't cost you any extra doe to check!

5. snowcan

snowcan Member

Sounds like carb trouble. take the air cleaner off the truck before you start it next time, when it quits check that there is no fuel dripping into the intake by looking into the carb right where the choke flap is, also make sure the choke flap is open after 3 or 4 minutes of running, if it is not you will have to address the choke problem first. Is it electric or heat tubes? If you see fuel running into the intake after the engine has quit you probably have a stuck float or open needle and seat. Before taking the carb apart pinch the fuel line(somewhere that it is rubber), and run the engine until it runs out of fuel, this will empty the carbs float bowl. Unpinch the fuel line and start the truck up again, you may have to crank it for 30 seconds or so to get the fuel up there again. This might blow out whatever is stuck in the needle and seat.....otherwise carb overhaul or replace....good luck