1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

80,000 lbs hill climb

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by kcress31, Oct 22, 2009.

1. kcress31

kcress31 Senior Member

Her is a few pics of a logging road hill we had to get pulled up every load.

jcc oct 21 004.jpg

jcc oct 21 005.jpg

jcc oct 21 007.jpg

2. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

That Dozer's got some power.

3. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Torque. :drinkup:

4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Should of built a tunnel!!!!!!!!!!

5. ServiceOnSite

ServiceOnSite Senior Member

are those trucks more over the road truck than site trucks??? i just wondering what tranny is in there that it dosent have a crawler gear to climb that hill??

6. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

I'm betting that it's more of a traction issue and not a gearing issue. I would rather get pulled up that hill than risk the truck hopping and snapping an axle, u-joint or driveshaft.

How come that dozer hand couldnt cut down that hill a little to make things a little easier?

Last edited: Oct 22, 2009
  7. ServiceOnSite

could be a traction issue, i know some of those low low trannys you could be redlined and only doing 2 mph i wonder how fast the dozer was pulling them up

8. kcress31

kcress31 Senior Member

If we were building the road we would have cut down the hill more but we were just hired to sceen and haul the garvel to the site and another contractor was making the road bed and hills etc. You guys are right it is more of a traction issue. Now if the road was smooth and the truck could hit 5th or 6th gear he would probably have enough momentum to carry up the hill. 2hrs round trip per load and 1.5 hrs just to get to the pit. My back and neck need a break.

9. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

That is steep. Around here all the tri-axle dumps have the tag right in front of the tandem. They usually are one tire that pivots for turning.

10. 01CTD2500

01CTD2500 Member

Axle in the middle bridges the weight better.

11. SuperdutyShane

SuperdutyShane PlowSite.com Addict

International right? Should have been a big Pete!

12. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

80K in a tri-axle? I guess you Canadians can get away with that ey:D

13. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Like these?

P1010617RS.jpg

14. ServiceOnSite

those are nice. better black but still nice

15. SuperdutyShane

Ooh la la. Are those yours? payup

16. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

I wish.

payup Is right. :realmad:

17. Dirtboy953B

Dirtboy953B Senior Member

Here in Missouri we are aloud 22,400lbs per axle wich means a tandem axle can carry 67,200bs,triaxle=89,600,quad axle or truck and trailer=112,000 and 6 axle's 134,400 and so on as long as you have enuff axle's and you are not on the interstate

18. SuperdutyShane

Peterbilt is worth the money though. Although, Crash395 certainly would disagree. :laughing:

19. snowman4

snowman4 Senior Member

I'm surprised this thread hasn't started a pickup truck war about who's brand of truck could pull that load up the hill!

20. kcress31

kcress31 Senior Member

We were working on another job a few months ago and the road was similar to this and another trucker had a Western Star with the super single steerable axle on it and he had to take the wheels right off because they dragged so much it made him get stuck. The steerable lift axles also turn the wrong way when backing up and turning on a uneven surface.