1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

8' X-Blade SS

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by airtime, Oct 26, 2009.

1. airtime

airtime Member

I was wondering about this setup for my 2000 F-250 Extended Cab,shortbed, V-10. Any pros or cons on this blade is appreciated.

2. T&M SnowMan

T&M SnowMan Senior Member

I have a buddy who had a S/S X Blade and he couldnt stand it, thin moldboard dented easily, actually had a hole punch in it, the cross bracing rusted up very quickly...now before people start saying he probably didnt take care of his plow, he is the opposite, he takes care of his equipment, uses it all for commercial, parking lots, roads, but overall he likes the dependability of the Fisher HD over the X Blade....guy at Tucks Trucks said they made some changes to the X Blade but Im not sure what changes were actually made, you would have to ask a Fisher distributor..or maybe someone else can answer this...Ive never had an X Blade but my friend has had many plows in the past and the X Blade definetely wasnt has favorite!

3. cubanb343

cubanb343 Senior Member
    from ERIE

i've plowed with an 8' x-blade and the best thing i can say about it is that it scrapes very clean.. especially the slushy ice crap that's hard to get off after everyone drives over it! Good plow, can't say much bad about it

4. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

I liked the ones Ive had. I have a brand new one now.

5. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

My brother runs the X blade stainless and it is awesome. Back drags really nice, has been reliable for the last 7 seasons. I would get one myself but my truck came with a Curtis. I like that as well but the X blade is bigger and better IMO.

6. cubanb343

cubanb343 Senior Member
    from ERIE

brad96- did you modify your front end at all to carry the weight of your x blade?

7. snow7899

snow7899 Senior Member

I love mine, I have alot of hours on my 05 model. I have replaced pump, lift ram, lift arm, hoses and replaced all pins last year. I plan on buying a 8.5XV and moving the 8' x-blade to replace an old 8'hd MM1. The scraping ability is great. I have had no major problems.

8. T&M SnowMan

T&M SnowMan Senior Member

I wanted to get one maybe this year or next but my buddy was telling me about the horrors he had with his...does anyone know about the changes they made to these? Ive heard tons of good about them, but also some bad, like with my friend I mentioned on my last post, whats everyones opinion about them on gravel?

9. plowinginma

plowinginma Senior Member
    from MA

Xblades are not made for gravel!! unless you want to use them as a bull dozer.. they are designed to cut through packed ice and snow..I suppose if the gravel was frozen soild. it may work ok..

10. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

if your plowing gravel non stop maybe the HD is the better choice. with gravel you do not want to scrape clean and the attack angle of the x is just for that. also the ss on the moldboard is thinner with the x than with the mild steel of the HD.

11. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

What happened to that Gibberish thread?

12. airtime

airtime Member

dealer says i'm good to go with 4800# axle wt. up front. the x only weights a couple hundred pounds more than an hd. the truck has all new front end parts so i hope i'm set.

13. brad96z28

I have extra bracing behind my controll arms is all, my truck barely squats with it on and I have my t bars where they normally are. No biggie. And I dont plow with 6 passengers.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2009
  14. cubanb343

cubanb343 Senior Member
    from ERIE

my thoughts exactly. thank you both

15. brad96z28

And if ur worried, the more ballst behind the rear wheels the better. I run about 7 to 800 pounds to try and ofset the plow and its free traction.