1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

8" x 5/8" cutting edge

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by BoulderBronco, Jan 22, 2010.

1. BoulderBronco

BoulderBronco Senior Member

Anyone have a reason why this wouldn't be a great edge? It would of course be a bit higher cost than the standard 6" x 1/2" but it's life would be substantially longer. Only downside (not much of one if you ask me) is the extra ~25lbs of weight. You would also possibly need to adjust the A-frame for proper angle but all plows have that adjustment.
  2. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

You will destroy the trip-edge and top spring perches. The grometry of the trip system is based on the existing 6"trip edge and or accessory 6" edges. You can go thicker but you should not go taller.

Trust me on this, I have repaired numerous plows that broke because of running the larger trip edge. I have seen many more with all the spring perches, spring bars and such bent from running edges to big.
  3. plowinginma

plowinginma Senior Member
    from MA

I respectfully dissagree.. They are not designed for an 8" blade that I agree with... If you put one on you void the waranty... However it is all I run and have run for many years... I have never bent any spring parts... it does add some great weight to the plow.. scapes way better.. You will need to pay attention to the plow angle.. (a frame level with the ground).. It lasts way longer for sure.. and back drag is better too... you will have to drill the holes bigger to accept larger bolts..

I don't think that 8" blades are for everyone... but they work well for me!!
  4. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

I have one of them on my 8' and it works awesome! I would have to say there is more than a 25 lb difference too! Makes for great scraping!
  5. lost_cause

lost_cause Junior Member
    from Maine

a friend of mine used to have a deeper than normal edge on a fisher and he said it did make the edge trip more often. seems logical, since it adds more leverage to the equation. whether this would have an impact for you would probably depend on what you plow. fairly even surfaces - probably not much difference. frozen rutted or uneven ground - maybe an impact, maybe not.

as far as weight goes, steel is about 490 lb per cubic foot. a 1/2x6 section is about 10.2lb/ft and a 5/8x8 section is 17lb/ft. basically, 50-60 lbs extra weight total for the cutting edge.
  6. ColliganLands

ColliganLands PlowSite.com Addict

i run the 5/8 by 8 edges on both my 8ft plows and my9ft plow that i run for the town.
    love the longer edge makes the plow scrape better and i dont notice it tripping any more than it normally would. also ive drilleds ome manhole covers and none of my springs of trip edge parts are bent. id say go for it if you want the larger edge
  7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I think it really depends on what type of plowing you do. If it's all hot top, then go for it. But the 8" edge has 33% more leverage against the trip springs than the 6". So if you are doing gravel, etc. It will likely trip more frequently. Lost cause is right on with the math for the weight.

The taller edge will not necessarily scrape any better than a shorter edge. The geometry doesn't change. And in theory, a thicker edge would scrape worse, because you have reduced the surface pressure by 25%.

Before you purchase the taller edge, make sure you can get the back of your A-frame up the two extra inches. With my XV, I am at the highest setting already with the 6 inch edge. I couldn't use taller edges, even if they made them.
  8. camaro 77

camaro 77 Senior Member
    from ma

running them for ever no problems I run a 5/8 x 6 on with the top punch on my x blade and reinforce the lower area on the x blade with no problems at all
  9. buddymanzpop

buddymanzpop Senior Member

5/8 x 8 is all I run on my 8 and 9 footers,no problems.
  10. plowinginma

plowinginma Senior Member
    from MA

FYI Side note ** Atlantic broom is a good place to purchase these 8' edge..
  11. tuna

tuna Senior Member

I run 5/8 x 8 on my 7.5 no problem.
  12. salt dogg

salt dogg Senior Member
    from Boston

camaro what do you do to reinforce the lower area of the xblade. i run a nine foot xblade and would love to run a 5/8 edge, but was scared to.
  13. JustinD

JustinD Senior Member

I too have been running the 8" edge, its alot better with the added weight and it does a better job back blading too. I bought mine at Mid-City Steel in Westport MA
  14. camaro 77

camaro 77 Senior Member
    from ma

I will see if I can get a pic but I plate the lower trip area were the piece of angle iron is that holds the mold board down low it is only take welded in a few spots I put 1/4 inch plates all the way a cross the bottom and then weld up a few more supports to the X bracing on the back side I have done 4- 5 of this with excellent results also it is easy with the mold board off and the plow on the bench
  15. camaro 77

camaro 77 Senior Member
    from ma

I took a few pics I will try to post them tonight after work
  16. camaro 77

camaro 77 Senior Member
    from ma

here are a few pic of the way I give the trip edge area more support let me know if you guys have any ?? I will try and answer them

17. T&M SnowMan

T&M SnowMan Senior Member

Ive always plowed with the 8" edge, and never had a problem, I do mostly paved driveways, but also do about a handful of gravel driveways as well...not a problem...My father before me used 8" edges, and my grandfather used 8" edges...my father plowed a local airport, condo complex and some driveways...grandfather plowed a condo complex, a big business parking lot and a few side jobs...worked for them, worked for me, some say no, I say theres nothing wrong with the 8" edge.