1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

8' Western Pro slow droops while driving

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Flyboy77, Feb 26, 2016.

1. Flyboy77

Flyboy77 Senior Member

My 8' Western Pro conventional straight blade (~1994 or so) with electronic joystick slow droops as I'm driving and it's bouncing on the chain as I drive. Not a lot and never touches down, but maybe in a 15 minute drive maybe drops an inch if it's a bouncy road. Last year it didn't move once I raised it. Could this mean a new seal on the lift cylinder? I don't notice any leaking.

If it is the lift cyclinder seal, is this a difficult job to replace myself or should I take it to a shop? I do some of my own wrenching on truck and plow, so some mechanical ability.

2. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

Could be the lift seal. Is it ouzing fluid out? Could also be the s2 valve. The valve with the white/yellow tracer hooked to it. Check the valve and orings on it.
    Lift cylinder seal is not to hard of a job but most likely replace lift ram also. Does lift ram have pitting?
  3. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

If it is the lift cylinder, there would be a noticeable leak. Are you constantly adding fluid? Replace the float valve.
  4. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

All the above is correct. If it's not leaking oil out anywhere then it has to be an internal valve problem. I would take out the S2 valve, put power to it to lift the valve off the seat and then blow it out with compressed air. When you connect and disconnect your 12 V jumpers (or a 9V transistor battery will do) you should hear a distinct and instant click. If it does not respond with an instant click then replace the valve cartridge as it is probably damaged. When you remove and replace the black magnetic coil it should come off easily, if not the valve is swollen. Also look at the stem under the coil to see if it is bent. The pressure shock from bouncing can cause this sort of damage.