1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

8' Western Pro on a 03' 1500. Am I Crazy?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by petro's plow, Dec 2, 2009.

1. petro's plow

petro's plow Junior Member

I'm new to this site. I have an 03 Silverado 1500 and I bought a used 8' Ultramount Pro Plow and had it installed and repainted for $2300. Everything works fine, but my Front End drops quite a bit when the plow is on. The guy who sold and installed it for me does this for a living and assured me that the plow is fine and is only 16 lbs heavier than a 7'6". My truck also has 150K on it and I'm worried that it's gonna beat the hell out of it. Everyone else I talk to says I'm crazy for even thinking about doing this with a 1500. Anyone have any advice?
  2. Racer593

Racer593 Member

My 99 suburban k1500 with 180,000 and 8' Pro Plow does just fine and has for the last 3 years.
    Turn your t bars up a bit to take up the sag.

3. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

A plow on a 1/2 ton is going to beat the hell out of it no matter what size the plow it...
  4. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

An 8 footer is the smallest plow there is as far as I'm concerned... Half ton or not. I have a few half ton short boxes out there with 8.5's on 'em... they do just fine. Use Timbrens.

Your guy is correct about the weight. An 8' weighs less than a 7.5' with some snow stuck to it. :nod:
  5. petro's plow

petro's plow Junior Member

Thanks guys. That gives me a lot of reassurance. A lot of people I've talked to say that either you shouldn't even consider using a 1/2 ton truck, or that this plow is way to big for it. I've been told to put Timberns or Airbags on. What's a good installed rate for something like that around Chicagoland? Others have told me to counterbalance the front end weight with salt or sand in the bed to even out the weight distribution.
  6. just me

just me Member

I just installed an 8' uni on my 2000 K1500 and it drops a lot too. I only plan to use it for my own driveways but it may get used at the local Cub occasionally too. I just looked at the Buyers bags at Northern but posed a question about ride quality without the plow on. I don't need a lumber wagon ride on the highway.
  7. NorthernSvc's

NorthernSvc's Senior Member

yes... yes you are insane have fun rebuilding your front end every year...
  8. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

run it, your fine! if you haven't already add timbrens (or the buyers equivalent) and crank your t-bars a little bit!
  9. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

There is a reason why Western doesn't recommend a 8' plow on a half ton. Local installers here won't do it. Axle rating is the problem, sagging front end can be masked by turning up the torsion bars but front end wear will increase. A few pounds difference sounds like nothing but what you have to consider is that weight is hanging a distance off the front end of your truck. Therefore you need to multiply that weight by about 3 to get the total actual weight increase and then add some sticky wet snow to it. Sounds unsafe to me.
  10. Jenkins12

Jenkins12 Junior Member

400 is the average plow install price. Tim wallace in bolingbrook or Coffmann truck sales in aurora.
  11. Racer593

Racer593 Member

3 years in and no problems with my 1/2 ton...

12. grnstripes

grnstripes Senior Member

crank the t bars up , install timbrins ( not hard very easy to do yourslf ) and make sure you weld gussets in the rear upper a frame mount, it will still sag ( its a GM ) but should be allright if your easy on it. You may need new ball joint and tie rods after each season with a half ton
  13. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

Much to do about nothing....

They say don't pump gas while on a cell phone either... but I've yet to blow a gas station off the map by doing it.