1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

8' v-box

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Flake Chaser, Nov 26, 2007.

1. Flake Chaser

Flake Chaser Member
    from CT

I'm in the market for a new one and looking for help with brands. I'm looking for a gas(yes gas) model. Anyone have a Meyer ?? I can get a good deal on a new on plus they finance. Hate to do it but old one pretty much **** the bed. Are they all pretty much the same with minor differences ?? Was also looking at Curtis and Downeaster
    Pete

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

No. There are differences between models. First, decide if you want a painted steel, stainless steel or poly. What type motor - Briggs/Stratton, Tecumseh or Honda. Steel or urethane spinner. Chute action. Chute length. Chain width. Compare stength of material.

Generally speaking, with new you will get as much quality as you pay for.

3. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Go with the downeaster SS electric. Yes electric, do yoursel a favor and go electric. Cant say it enough, go electric. Run away from the gasser as fast as you can.
    Trust me, the electric is the way to go.
    Dino

4. Snowpower

Snowpower Senior Member

Friend of mine just picked up a Monroe unit. Pretty nice. Its a steel gasser but pretty heavy duty.

I like that Meyer Polyhawk deal.

5. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

i have a buyers ss w/ briggs motor that has spread at least 1000 ton of salt and this year i had to put 2 roller chains on it and it still has the same drag chain and angelos has it for sell for about $3500 I WOULD STRONGLY RECOMEND THIS SPREADER, but next time i'll probably buy a mild steel model for the cost savings and, the chains, motor other components are what rots out long before the box does

6. Flake Chaser

Flake Chaser Member
    from CT

OK plowking sell me on an electric. I'm curious about them and how much they draw off vehicle or do they have a separate battery ? I'm going with mild steel for cost price and more than likely go with a Honda. The long chute adds I think about $150 but if I didn't get it would end up shooting sand/salt in between truck bed and ez-dumper. Even if I put something to block it.

7. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Do a search its been spoken about adnausem.
    If you have a dump insert, get a replacement tailgate spreader.
    Draw is about 35 at start up and mid 20's when running. Truck doesnt even know its running. Compared to a plow which draws upwards of 200+ amps.
    Honda engines are great, but reports are less than stellar service in spreader applications.
    Also save your money on a mild steel spreader, unless you get a deal on a used one, other wise you are wasting your money. A mild steel spreader will be worth 1/2 price in less than 2 yrs.
    I also would not insert a spreader in a dump insert. To many things stacked on top of each other. If you get a v box, pull the dump insert.
    If it was me, I would get the replacment tailgate spreader.
    http://www.truckcraft.com/
    http://www.sandspreader.com/tailgate.shtml

8. Flake Chaser

Flake Chaser Member
    from CT

Anyone run sand/salt mix through the SnowEx 8000 ?? Looks like you have to buy vibrator for another $300-400. I toying with the idea of an electric(you may win plowking:)) but it only holds 1.5 yards. The upside is they are running a special no payments for 6 months. I sure like that. Plus I like the fact that they lighter to take in and out of truck. No more chain hoists.

9. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

i have a snowex 8000 dont run mix just straight salt only used it 3 times so far but it does a very good job. as for draw it doesnt even dim the lights at all. it will hold about 2 ton of bulk. you will need the vibrator to make it flow good after you drive a little and the salt settles.

10. rjfetz1

rjfetz1 Senior Member
    from CT.

Downeaster SS - the only way to go. Excellent quality & great resale....