1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

8' V Box in a SB Pickup

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by rpainetfd, Jan 9, 2009.

1. rpainetfd

rpainetfd Member

Has anyone tried to put an 8' V Box in a short bed pick up? If so, anything I need to be carefull of. I have one in a regular cab long bed right now, but I am looking to buy a super cab short bed. Thanks
  2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I wouldn't do it. Too much weight too far behind the rear wheels. The tailgate can't begin to support that kind of weight. Of course you might be able to pop wheelies with the plow off, which is fun.........
  3. fortydegnorth

fortydegnorth Senior Member

The problem with v-boxes is they empty from the the front to the back. By the time you get the box half empty the weight would be concentrated in the back of the spreader and hanging out the back of the truck. I definitely wouldn't trust the bed mounted hooks to hold it in from the front. Enough weight teetering out the back would definitely rip the factory front hooks out. I bent mine just taking the bed off and using the hooks to lift it. I have a quad cab short bed F-250 and I took the bed off and built a flatbed that is almost 8' long and it works perfect for a v-box, although we are using a tailgate spreader for now. They make smaller v-boxes, I would look into a 6' spreader.

MAR4CARS Senior Member

I was running a hiniker 625 ss v box in my short bed 1500 that had air bag and brake upgrades.Even with the plow on, the front wheels wouldn't steer once the v box was half empty.On our 2500 we use for sanding now we even removed the rear bumper and trailer hitch to get the sander as far forward as possible.The hiniker 625 is designed for short bed trucks