1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

8' Uni (no power)

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by tonka329, Nov 21, 2014.

1. tonka329

tonka329 Member

I had the new truck side 9 pin harness installed on my 98 GMC. Just got it back from the local Western dealer. I have power to the control. I can turn it on and off. There is power to the plow lights. I unplug the 9 pin and the lights go off. I unplug the 2 pin plug, the lights will stay on but, they get very dim. I'm wondering if I got something wrong on the plow side harness when I swapped it out. I did the swap according to the Western manual and I put color to color on the splicing... I'm not sure it's the ground on the pump because the lights turned of when I disconnected that as well. Any help would be appreciated!

Last edited: Nov 21, 2014
  2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Wait, did you install it, or did they? Kinda lost.

3. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

9 pin would suggest a relay controlled uni-mount. The plow functions, in this case, are completely isolated from the lights. The thing with the unis is that the relays are / can be very complicated. There are between three and six relays each with 5 pins, that's as many as 30 connections that must be made right. The colors on the instructions and the colors on the actual wires are not exactly the same depending on the revision you have. If you installed it yourself look at the relays. Make sure your colors are on the correct pins and perhaps you need to test each relay to make sure they are all working correctly.

http://library.westernplows.com/ddcommon/dd_pdf/pdfs/22373.07_110108_for_web.pdf

Once you have counted the number of relays you have and know what kind of headlight bulbs you have look at this link under the "relay systems" 9 pin section.

4. tonka329

tonka329 Member

Thanks for the reply guys but, I had the Western dealer installed the truck harness. I installed the plow side harness. a couple months ago. I looked at what the dealer did and I'm only seeing 1 relay. As for the correct harness, yes, it's the right one. I checked the solenoid to make sure it's grounded and everything looks fine. Not sure where to start troubleshooting

5. dieselss

Only 1 relay? Something awry

6. Marlon

Marlon Junior Member

I guess I'm not understanding what your problem is. Both connectors have to be attached for the lights to work properly. The lighting circuit grounds via the brown/orange wire attached to the neg motor lug,then on to the neg battery cable. If only the 9 pin is connected, the lights will do all kinds of strange things. That year truck should have 2 headlight relays,probably taped together to appear as one. Are you confusing the plow motor relay(big one with the big cables) for the headlight relays(all small wires)? Once again,I'm not really sure what isn't working correctly.

7. tonka329

tonka329 Member

Yup. I was thinking this as well.

There is only 1 relay I can see. No, there are not 2 taped together. With the headlights on the plow, I was testing to see what worked and what didn't work unplugging each harness at a time. I have everything working on the plow except the up, down, left and right. The controller powers up and turns off on command but, I'm Not sure if it's a bad connection on the wiring that I did (plow side), or the wiring the dealer did (truck side). Hope this helps

8. Marlon

Marlon Junior Member

OK,that describes your problem. Need to know a bit more.Does the motor spin and nothing moves? Does the big solenoid click when you hit left/right/up? There is a really good flow chart for systematically diagnosing electrical issues such as yours in the mechanics guide available online.I don't have the link handy, but it shouldn't be too hard to find.

9. dieselss

Yea, is the solenoid clicking? Motor spinning.
    Where's the main gnd hooked up at?

10. mishnick

"Everything working except up down left and right" ???? Is there anything else? I don't recal a 9 pin relay MVP.

What exactly is NOT working? Your controller lights up, the motor relay clicks, the plow goes up down left and right. That leaves only the lights.

The lights on a uni relay setup do in deed find their ground through the motor ground cable. That is why lights go dim when unplugged. I would have expected them to go out no just dim but that is part of your problem.

Look under the hood on the driver's side just behind the headlight, maybe under the battery. There will be a bunch of relays and wires in a bundle. Probably looks like a dogs breakfast. That's where your headlight control relays are. That's what we are talking about. Not the motor relay. The light relays are little 5 pin black cubes about one inch square.

Your plow markers and signals are just connected in parallel with the truck. The relays switch from truck to plow between high and low beam. Some of the more complicated setups tie into DRLs (daytime running lights). I would expect a minimum of two relays.

Your task now, should you choose to accept it, is to find these relays, count them and report back to us here.

Good luck and remember, if you are caught or captured we here at the Plowsite will completely disavow ourselves of any previous contact.......

11. mishnick

Looking back I think I understand now. Did you replace the 9 pin harness on the plow? The one that goes to the headlights and the valves? If this is true then you should be rechecking everything you did. Clearly something is wrong. Probably in the light housings.

Even if it's all good you may have shorted something momentarily in which case you need to check your relays so we still need to know how many headlight relays you have.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2014
  12. tonka329

tonka329 Member

Well, I jacked up the blade and short chained it. Then this morning, I drove it to the Western dealer that installed the truck side harness. Everything tested fine and it turns out my controller is the problem. He got a new joystick controller, plugged it in and it worked fine. So, I got it back home and I got my controller to work if I push the buttons really hard... Looks like I'll need to keep my eyes out for another handheld. Thanks for the help guys! Didn't mean to be confusing on my explanations!