1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

8" Trip Edge Plow Stuck In Up Position

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Dougman, Dec 21, 2008.

1. Dougman

Dougman Member
    from MA

Just happened tonight on my last job. :eek: My 2 season old Boss trip edge plow is stuck in the max up position (better that than in the down position I suppose!). Pump still works and left-right works fine... no problem. I can hear the solenoids work left-right and up... but no sound at all for down/float. Dead silence and no movement. Connections look good at hand controller and main control connector.

Should I assume right off that I have a bad "up/down" solenoid coil or bad valve cartridge? :confused: Or am I missing something?

Dougman

Last edited: Dec 21, 2008
  2. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

check the coil for down with a screwdriver. does it stick? does the controller go into float? connections good at the main plug?

3. Dougman

Dougman Member
    from MA

Main plug looks tight and secure... but I'll recheck it in the morning. Too damn cold and dark out there right now. Controller does go into float (i.e., it turns from green to red) but no sound or movement at the plow whatsoever.

I'll be checking the coil tomorrow. Can't even get the plastic cover off with it being so cold out and the plow being stuck at max up. I'll release pressure (via loosening the hose connection), set it down and be able to check it out tomorrow.

Thanks for your help!

Dougman

4. Dougman

Dougman Member
    from MA

Well, cover is off and all connections appear to be secure. Still no sound or movement at the "down" solenoid/valve. I'm all alone here this morning so I can't check for voltage at the down coil's + terminal unless I can somehow use the Smarthitch2 switch (not sure that is a safe/great idea).

Not sure what you mean by using a screwdriver to test the coil. Where would I get + voltage from? :confused:

Another question: Should I see voltage at the down coil's + terminal with the controller in "float"??? :confused:

Dougman

Last edited: Dec 22, 2008
  5. Dougman

Dougman Member
    from MA

Guess I should ask one more stupid question:

After bad connections (obviously the first thing to check), what fails more often: Coils or valves?

Dougman

6. Dougman

Dougman Member
    from MA

Wrong! :eek: Bad ground wire at the coil. :mad:

One full day shot to hell. At least now I have a "spare" coil. :rolleyes:

Dougman