1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

8' Super Duty NO-POWER ISSUE

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by JonAndare, Nov 25, 2008.

Tags:
  1. JonAndare

JonAndare Junior Member

I have an 8' S.D. strait blade on a 2006 F-250. I have a "sometimes" problem of my joystick not lighting up, and when there is no light to the joystick you can't move the plow. The headlights still work normally, just the controller doesn't work. I can't find a loose ground and all of my relays are clicking as thought they are working. Nothing I have done has fixed this issue. Talked to my repair center and they said that a relay should be the problem. The power relay works just as it shoud..i.e. power @ red,& red/black wires, the ground is good. I can't afford to have a truck go down in the middle of a bad storm. If any one has had this problem or can help me with what the causes may be that would be great. Thanks :angry: ussmileyflag

2. Harleychvy

Harleychvy Senior Member

I had the same problem on my 2005 chevy, it was a intermittent loose wire in the engine mounted fuse center, replaced the fusible link and had no problems since.

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds like you have the relay possibility covered so you should be fine there...

Check the terminal pins in the controller's 9 pin connector plug. Sometimes they get loose and will work there way out of the sockets, losing connection. The next time it quit's reach down and wiggle the connector plug. If it instantly begins to work again you've found the issue.

Second possible cause is the rocker switches sometimes fail in the controller. They are replaceable so don't purchase a $300 for a $4 rocker switch.

4. JonAndare

JonAndare Junior Member

Thanks for the ideas. I'm thinking that the problem is in the fuse link, all the pins seem to be in good condition. I will re-post if I nail down what is causing the issues. Thanks.

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If the power relay is still working and has power at it on the red/black wire when the controller isn't working then it's not the red/black fused wire...as thats what turns the power relay on and off. Be sure to keep us posted. :waving:

6. RobbieB

RobbieB Senior Member

I had a similar issue last winter. I had work done to the my Excursion and when I got it back I had to plow. I hooked up the plow, plugged it in and had partial lights and no power to lift. Found out the mechanic left the ground cable off the battery but it was getting a ground through other sources so I had some lights but no action.