1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

8' Straight Blade won't Raise

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by odd1or2even, Jan 12, 2012.

1. odd1or2even

odd1or2even Senior Member

The plow I bought as a spare and just got around to checking it and thank goodness I did before needing it.

The smart hitch works and raised the tower onto the truck. However the plow whines and doesn't lift the plow. The plow angles left and right, but it doesn't raise. Figured it was low on oil so I put oil in it but that didn't fix the problem either. I took the + and - cables off and brushed them clean and hooked back up and checked connections but to no avail. Any suggestions?

Steve

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Since the SH works fine that indicates you're not getting power to the lift coil from the controller through the white wire. Use a test light and back track through the harness checking the white wire for battery voltage as a helper holds the rasie function on. Disconnect the plow power cables to keep the pump from running while testing.

You'll probably just find a dirty or missing pin in the bumper plug or the wire terminal for the white wire is just loose on the lift coil. A couple minutes with a test light and a visual inspection should narrow it down pretty quickly.

3. odd1or2even

Will give it a try next time I'm at the shop... Thanks!

4. odd1or2even

I have power at the white wire

Have power going to the solenoid on the pump. Attached is a picture of the three solenoids.

The bottom one has power at the white wire, and at the Smart Hitch. The tower raises but the plow can't raise. I have left and right angles. Is the bottom right solenoid in need of replacing? Or the whole valve assembly as well (like Meyers 2 piece valve and coil). Thanks

2012-01-18_15-41-28_346.jpg

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Did you check for magnetism on the white coil while a helper holds the raise function on the controller?

6. odd1or2even

Did not... so have someone place a magnet on the tip (where the nut is) and then see if there is a pull when someone else presses the up button? If nothing means? If it does, then what? Thanks for your quick replies...

7. Woodenshoe

Woodenshoe Member

Hold something metal (screwdriver etc) by the coil and see if it sticks when the coil is energized.

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

:D Not a magnet. The coil produces magnetism when energised so you simply need anything metal to check it such as a screwdriver, wrench etc. If it pulls on the object when the raise function is pressed on the controller then the controller, wiring and coil are working so then you move on to the valve itself. But there's a very good chance you won't find any mag and the issue is there's no power coming out on the white wire from the controller. So you then get the test light out and start checking when it's lost as I originally mentioned.

9. odd1or2even

Thanks for the help everyone. Turns out I had power at the white wire, and had magnetism on the lift coil but the valve didn't release. The problem was the valve which I replaced and it worked for other people who need the same help. Thanks again!

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Good job Steve. Must have stuck the first time you activated it, which isn't too common but on an older "unknown" unit it isn't unheard of. As I mentioned once you know how to do a little diagnosis the issue usually isn't too tough to find. Hope you learned a little about how to do that so you're ready if you ever need it again.