1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

8' Straight blade wing question-

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by blackDiesel, Nov 15, 2010.

1. blackDiesel

blackDiesel Member

I have a 8' straight blade for this season. (Would love a new set up, but funds are tight) Anyway, I plow a lot of commercial lots, walgreens pharmacy's and burger joints. Would putting a set of wings on my plow save me some time for this type of work? Just looking for some insight from guys with a similar set up.... thanks-

2. Sound Man

Sound Man Junior Member

I am interested in others opinions as well. I have been thinking about adding wings as well.

3. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

In a word-Yes. Especially in areas that you cannot windrow. Wings are very effective at holding snow in front of you if you need to move it across a lot. Plus, it makes your plow wider, requiring less passes.

4. Kodiakguy

Kodiakguy Senior Member

Yes. We run wings on everything. They help with windrowing as well. The leading edge of the plow has a 60 degree angle (when plow is angled), making more use of the blade by preventing spill off on the leading edge. Adding boss wings will make your 8 footer a 9 and a half foot scoop (give or take an inch). You will see considerable time savings, ESPECIALLY where you need to carry snow across a lot. If you worried about the trailing wing when windrowing, dont, its at a 0 degree angle to your truck, it doesnt really effect the snow coming off the blade that much. Just my 2 cents. Hope it helps.

5. Sound Man

Sound Man Junior Member

how well do they preform backdragging and on residental driveways

6. Kodiakguy

Kodiakguy Senior Member

we don't do much back dragging, but they work ok, a steel edge would work better. Everything is a trade off. I wish boss would make an expanding plow with wings, like blizzard, western and fisher (the three have the same parent company). I hate saying it, but we have a sub who uses a blizzard 810 powerplow, its great for all the backdragging, scooping, large windrowing etc. But i really like boss and will probably stick with them.

7. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Or you can keep your straight blade and get a ebling for the same price as a front blade.

8. Cmbrsum

Cmbrsum Senior Member

I run 8' Boss with wings on 3 trucks. Would not run without them. cut plow times from 30 min to 20. for Walgreens, the wings will fit threw 90% of my drive threws. know which ones before you push snow into them. Back dragging is OK. Spend the money for better wing. first set i bought were boss wings at $700. Work and hold up very well. then I bought a set of Buyers for $200. they bend easily and the rubber pops off like nothing. I only buy the Boss wings now. And I agree with Kodiak. I like Boss but wish they would offer a power plow. Don't care much for the V-plow myself though.

9. GatorDL55

GatorDL55 Senior Member

The parent company owns the patent to the expanding wings. That's why you won't see it on any other manufacturers.

10. Cmbrsum

Cmbrsum Senior Member

I'm not sure about that. Sure the parent company may own a patent but as long a boss builds there own design, it will be better and will not mess with a patent. You only need minor changed to beat patent law.