1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

8' snow pusher metal or rubber edge?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by classiclawncare, Aug 24, 2015.

1. classiclawncare

classiclawncare Senior Member

Im going to be buying a new snow pusher for my skid steer.

Its a 2013 CAt 259D ctl.

I currently run a protech 8' with a rubber cutting edge.

We use it for a number of properties.

Im thinking about switching to a 8' metal cutting edge pusher. Ive only used metal edges on snow plows for trucks, never a snow pusher.

Is there an advantage or disadvantage to either?

Also the 2 brands Im looking at are buyers and boss.

2. Neige

Neige Sponsor

Just watch this video, and think it answers your question.
    https://youtu.be/WXIxzk2mh38

3. classiclawncare

Im assuming the second pusher is the metal edge?

4. brasski

brasski Member

For the price you can't beat a boss pusher. If you have alot of money to get rid of than live edge is the way to go.

5. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Rubber edges are 20-30 year old technology.

I still have a couple, but I wish I didn't.

6. classiclawncare

Im thinking the metal cutting edge is the way to go for sure

7. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite.com Addict

Boss is a decent pusher....Metal Pless is the way to go...There is a reason for the price...It's built a lot stronger

8. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

Do you bill salt by the ton, or per application regardless of amount applied?

I'm not at all enthusiastic about the way our Boss boxes scrape, but I'm also trying to compare them to Arctic Sectionals.

IMO, there are 2 boxes to buy: Arctic Sectional or Metal Pless Liveboxx. Only reason I'd have something else is for a backup. No hands on experience (yet) with the Liveboxx, but it appears to be built more solid than the Sectional.

If you're billing per ton and have plenty of salt...then there's not much use in spending the extra coin on the high end boxes though.

9. Herm Witte

Herm Witte Senior Member

Jarret,

We do have an environmental responsibility and a responsibility to encourage all in our industry to charge for salt as a service not as a product sold by the lb. I don't Know where you're at on this topic.

10. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

Agreed...that's why we have nothing that is per pound.

It's hard to justify spending double the money on a box if there is literally no financial advantage though. While the environmental impact is substantial, most contractors, at least here locally, could care less about their "environmental impact" which I don't agree with.

For what it's worth, we average right at 500 LB/acre for the season and our lots are clear nearly as fast as the guys using double that.

11. SnowMatic

SnowMatic Member
    from USA

Where does the Polyurethane Cutting Edges come into play here when comparing to rubber edges, steel edges, and 20-30 yr technology.

12. Neige

Neige Sponsor

That is a great question, and I will give you my experience on all three.
    In my market steel was the only choice 40 years ago, with the option of getting trip springs or not. No trip springs was a poor mans option, and very dangerous. Today I would never let someone run any form of plow without some form of trip system on the cutting edge.
    Rubber became very popular in the USA some 20 years or more ago. The nice thing about rubber is that it was safer then the steel no trip system and very inexpensive to build. It was a smart inexpensive solution to the spring trip system on steel cutting edges.
    We have been using poly as an alternative to steel cutting edges on our snowblowers some 15 years ago. Because we were doing lots of interlock paver driveways, the poly did not leave scrape marks which turned into rust marks in the summer. The other nice thing about the poly if you catch an obstacle parts of it will chip off or it will tear off leaving the blower intact.
    In my view steel is the best, because it works well in most snow conditions.
    From light fluffy snow to the wet cement, and removes hard pack best.
    Rubber works very well on fresh light fluffy snow, and extremely well on slushy snow as well. It sucks on hard pack, and the trip on a rubber plow is not high since its the rubber cutting edge itself that serves as the trip. ( There are now plows available with trip springs where you can bolt on a rubber cutting edge.)
    Poly has a better bite then rubber but the clean cutting edge wears out very quickly. It is a great option when you do not want to leave any marks on the surface being plowed. It does not scrape as well as steel, but better then rubber on hard pack.
    There you have it, and remember its only my opinion. Thumbs Up

13. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

We used poly on one of our ProTechs for a couple years. It works marginally better on hardpack IMO but wears faster and is more expensive. It also tore a lot more.