1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

8' "Rigid" V snowplow for truck or tractor

Discussion in 'Used Plowing and Truck Equipment Forum' started by TellGRBill, Oct 4, 2009.

1. TellGRBill

TellGRBill Junior Member

I would like to buy an 8" V snowplow for use on a truck or tractor (Not a BOSS/adjustable type). I would like a plow similar to the one in the attached photos. Please send a photo of the plow that you have and your asking price.

front.JPG

side.JPG

Back.JPG

2. TellGRBill

TellGRBill Junior Member

TellGRBill

Hi All,
    I found what an 8' wide V snowplow on Ebay. The plow was a little bigger than I thought that it would be, but we'll make it work for us.
    I appreciate the ability to post the want ad on this web site.
    Happy winter

1-LaVerne.JPG

3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

How much does that weigh, and how wide is the path? Are you putting that on a Ranger or F-150?

4. TellGRBill

TellGRBill Junior Member

Response to: "Will you mount the V plow on a Ford 150?"

However, alleys have some characteristics of sidewalks. There is nowhere to put the snow except along the edges. I have found that a LARGE Vplow gives the plower an advantage over the straight plow.
    Now....as for putting it on the front of the truck. I must admit that when I considered buying the plow, even though I knew the measurements and compared those with my vehicles, I was not prepared to find such a BEEFY piece of equipment. This plow is too BEEFY for the front of either our one ton 350 Dodge truck or our tractor. Soooo....how about the BACK of the tractor? Well, that's where it will be mounted. I have done some designing of changes that should allow us to mount it on the back of the tractor, with the 3 point hitch providing the lift and the rear wheels carrying the weight. The 3 point hitch is designed to lift up to 4400 pounds and the tractor should provide enough traction to push the plow through pretty heavy accumulations of snow. If I run out of traction, I just lift the plow a little and the weight goes onto the traction wheels. Plowing snow while backing up will be a "pain in the neck". my neck. We will only use this plow when nothing else is being effective, and then I'll be happy just to get through. Our 60 HP diesel tractor has four gears in reverse and the 4th will run the tractor about 6 - 8 miles per hour, just fast enough to flow the heavy snow off the plow. With the odd weather patterns in the world, and the last couple years here, I feel that I must be prepared for the worst. We've experienced the worst and I didn't like being "check mated" by snow conditions. This plow only cost us $255. plus an adventure. It's interesting getting this ready for the tractor. Oh, it will cost us more than $255 just to have it sandblasted and painted.

5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds like a good plan to me. As for plowing backwards, our local walmart had a guy with a pusher on the back of a tractor. No cab or anything. What a joke. He didn't last till Christmas.

6. TellGRBill

TellGRBill Junior Member

Plowing backwards

Several years ago, when clearing snow from sidewalks, we had to rent a farm tractor and mount a snowblower on the back to clear walks that plows were not able to clear. I blew snow in reverse for over a month straight. It'd not comfortable, but when you're contracted to perform and normal equipment will not do the job, you do what you have to do. I only plan to use this setup when nothing else will do the job. It will be a lot faster than a blower or a loader.

HPIM3309.JPG

7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I hear what you're saying. Hopefully we get some pics of it in action. Even if it's just for fun.

8. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Several years ago Bill?

Little longer than that, wasn't it? Andy is still complaining about that season.

9. Sticks

Sticks Senior Member
    from Ontario

off topic but here is my $200 dollar plow
    weighing down a trailer...

DSC02275.jpg

10. Sticks

Sticks Senior Member
    from Ontario

off topic but here is my $200 dollar plow
    weighing down a trailer...

opps for some reason here is two

11. MrBillsLawn

MrBillsLawn Member

Tellgrbill,

What part of GR are you plowing....I want to see that thing in action..

12. TellGRBill

TellGRBill Junior Member

We have a contract to plow all the city alleys and some dead-end streets in the South East part of Grand Rapids. This plow will only be used if we get a snow accumulation that is too much for our regular plows to handle. We also have a 8' snow blower that fits on the back of the 60 HP diesel tractor that I have prepared for this plow. I'll post a photo of the plow on the tractor when it's ready.

13. TellGRBill

TellGRBill Junior Member

Some new photos of the rear 3pt hookup completed

Lift System 1.JPG

Lift System 2.JPG

Front runner.JPG

3pt hookup from rear.JPG

3pt hookup from side.JPG

14. TellGRBill

TellGRBill Junior Member

rear 3pt hookup V snowplow

Some new photos of the rear 3pt hookup V snowplow completed.

Finish Painted Front.JPG

Side S.JPG

Wheels.JPG

Lift System 1s.JPG

Front runner-s.JPG

15. Sticks

Sticks Senior Member
    from Ontario

looks great!

16. TellGRBill

TellGRBill Junior Member

Thanks for the comments about plowing in reverse.

I would like to thank those who read, thought about, and made comments about our effort to mount a very large V snow plow to the back of a 60 hp diesel farm tractor to plow snow from city alleys while driving in reverse. Applying our effort to actually plow very deep snow, where our normal snowplowing equipment is having trouble performing, will be the ultimate test of our planning, designing, and constructing the plowing-in-reverse setup.
    Thanks 2COR517 for suggesting the mirror, it should save me some muscle pain. I have installed a school bus rear view mirror that can be pushed into a less blocking position when plowing and driving forward. (Photos attached) I've backed a tractor with a large snow blower down narrow city sidewalks after a big snow storm successfully, so backing down the center of a straight alley that has banks of snow on both sides with a V plow should be very do-able when our other equipment can't get through without damage.
    Several people stressed the need for additional weight on the front of the tractor, and suggested that carrying our normal front plow for a counter weight would make the vehicle too difficult to maneuver. Therefore, I have prepared the front of the tractor plow frame to carry two 150 pound cast iron elevator weights. (Photo attached) The front tires are already filled with chloride water to add weight.
    Again, Thanks to all who commented!!:grinz

Mirrow in working position.JPG

Morror in travel position.JPG

Weight cradle.JPG

17. TellGRBill

TellGRBill Junior Member

a recent improvement of the mirrors in this "plowing in reverse" tractor setup

Hi, Just in case someone uses this conversation example to help them set up a farm tractor to plow in reverse, I'm posting a recent improvement of the mirrors in this "plowing in reverse" tractor setup. The top rear view mirror has been raised to the maximum possible height. Inside, side mirrors have been added. The addition of inside, side mirrors increases the rear visibility immensely!

HPIM1372.JPG

18. TellGRBill

TellGRBill Junior Member

Window wiper motor setup should help keep the rear window clear

I just bought a window wiper motor setup on Ebay that should help keep the rear window of this tractor more clear of snow. I had to do a lot of searching, but finally found a "marine" wiper motor that is the same design as one that I have had many years experience with on Bombardier tractors, and ones that I installed on my farm tractors used for snowplowing. The person selling them appears to have several for sale, so I'm posting an Ebay link and photos that should help anyone determine if it would help them. The seller is asking $50 as a "buy now" offer. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MARI...at_Parts_Accessories_Gear?hash=item3ca79f2427
    I still have to buy a wiper arm and blade but that is no problem.

WIPER.JPG

WIPERDRA.JPG

19. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Looks good. Can't believe I didnt think of the school bus mirror, since I drive bus on occasion. The wiper should be a huge help. Do you have plenty of heat and airflow to keep the rear window clear? Might want to put in one of those ped mount fans near the rear window. Like school buses have LOL.

I hope we get some pics or vids of this setup in action.

20. TellGRBill

TellGRBill Junior Member

2COR517 wrote: "Do you have plenty of heat and airflow to keep the rear window clear?"

I have a heater inside the cab with the air directed towards the windshield and thus also the mirrors. I also have the air that passes through the radiator and over the engine coming into the cab and out the back of the cab by the 3pt hitch, and other cab openings.
    I've been thinking about the back window though. I've never noticed a problem in the past. I've backed up a lot, but never plowed in reverse with this particular tractor and cab setup. When the sun's out we usually have to turn off the heater, or it gets too warm in the cab.
    Thanks for the thought.