1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

8' Pusher Modifications

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by chico1234, Sep 22, 2006.

1. chico1234

chico1234 Junior Member
    from canada

Hello All!

I am about to purchase a Rubber edge pusher for my Cat 232b skidsteer. I want to replace the rubber edge with a steel edge to help get down to the pavemwnt on hard pack spots. Do you see any problems that can occur since it wont have the trip edge on it? I dont have a 2 speed model so I will only be plowing at 12km/hr and there are no real bad spots on my properties.

Another side question....do you think a 8' pusher is alright on that machine? Will be pushing commercial lots...longest stretch about 300'...no chains...salt before plowing.

Thank alot!!

2. salopez

salopez Senior Member

If you want to scrape down to the pavement look at the ISE models from protech. they have a steel edge on the bottom of a rubber edge so you still get trip action. I wouldn't do what you are talking about to my machine, but thats just me.

3. JD PLOWER

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

Chico if you go that route I would keep the rubber in between the steel and the blade, it will give you some cushioning when you do hit manhole covers and other obstructions.

I am not familiar with the cat line so I don't know how well it will or won't push that size box. How much does the machine weigh? Horsepower?

4. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Unless you get the Ice scraping technogly protec, I wouldn't do that. Its going to lanch the operator right out of the cab if you hit something with a solid steel edge.

5. chico1234

chico1234 Junior Member
    from canada

Thank You for the responses!

The machine weight is 6600#

Net flywheel hp is 49hp

Operating capacity 1750lbs

So do you think this would push a 8' pusher efficiently? And you guys really think not having a trip edge is really that critical?

Thanks

6. JD PLOWER

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

Chico I would say that machine is probably at its limits with an 8' pusher particularly on the longs runs you mentioned. Once that snow piles up (more than a few inches) it may have a fair bit of trouble making those runs.

Yes some type of cushioning will be necessary to not damage the machine and the operator, even at low speeds.

7. salopez

salopez Senior Member

I am running an 8ft protech on a gehl 4636 turbo 57hp and 6700bls. I haven't had any trouble, even with long runs, but I don't over tax the machine. We start plowing by 2"s of snow and keep going. I don't wait till there is 6 on the ground....Plus we have heavy wet snow here in maryland. I think you should be good with the cat...just keep up with the storm.