1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

8' Pro

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by tonka329, Oct 29, 2014.

1. tonka329

tonka329 Member

Just rebuilt my Western over the summer. I'm running a '96 GMC K1500. I'm curious if a poly plow would be a little bit lighter on the front end since this is only a 1/2 ton truck... I have heard about getting a small lift? Maybe a torsion bar lift? Anyway, looking for some pointers if anyone has any.:) Also, I will be ordering new trip springs and I was wondering on how tight do I need to make the new ones?

plow9.jpg

plow8.jpg

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Poly is heavier. Trip springs.....slide a credit card into the rungs. Adjusted

3. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

If you have torsion bar suspension you can adjust the anchor bolts to lift front end. I have heard of lift kits that attach to the rear end of torsion bars to extend the lift range but the guy who did that said it was too stiff with plow off.

4. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

if it squats too much when you raise the plow you can also add Timbren boosters.

5. tonka329

tonka329 Member

Perfect! Thanks

Yup, I have IFS torsions in the front.

I've read about timbren. What exactly are they?

6. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

I've read about timbren. What exactly are they?

They take the place of your bump stops. Hollow rubber that takes the weight and transfers it to the frame of the trk

7. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Look up Timberin on the net. Select your truck and they show a picture of the kit.

8. tonka329

tonka329 Member

Ok. Ill check it out