1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

8' Plow on 97 Chevy 1500

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by PlowMan03, Feb 19, 2010.

1. PlowMan03

PlowMan03 Senior Member
    from Maine

I recently bought a 97 Chevy k1500 extended cab, in the sales ad they listed the plow as a 7 1/2 ft fisher plow. I got looking at the plow the other day and measured it and it is 8'. My question is will I be fine with this plow or should I get rid of it and swap it for a 7 1/2? I know with the weight of the 8' ft it will be harder on front end parts like ball joint, tie rods ect. Any input will be great.

2. Shoreline

Shoreline Member

I have a '96 GMC K1500 with an arctic plow. When I first installed it, the front really sagged down a lot. I had the torsion bars cranked up a bit and she barely squats now. I wish they hadn't been cranked quite so much but it has no problem handling the plow. I just started my business and bought this truck with the intention of upgrading in a couple of years. I also know the history of my truck and it's maintenance history. Hope this helps a bit.

3. Kris_Kris

Kris_Kris Member
    from Indiana

I dont think I would change it if is already mounted. I have owned several 1/2 tons over the years with plows on them. I always got along just fine.

This winter I have seen 4 different 1/2 ton trucks with plows on them, loose a front ball joint and jam the front tire into the fender. Im just glad that never happened to me. I think I will stick with 3/4 ton trucks from now on.

4. PlowMan03

PlowMan03 Senior Member
    from Maine

It's a 2 port plug Minute Mount anyway so all I have to do is find a 71/2 MM with the same 2 port plug. I talked with the owner of the dealership yesterday and asked him to find me a 7 1/2 MM he said no problem, he didn't even know the plow was 8' either until I told him lol

5. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I'd just run the 8' blade. Isn't much heavier then a 7.6'.

6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

8'HD vs 7 1/2'HD/RD is almost a hundred pounds heavier, about 15%. The extended cab would actually be much happier with an 7 1/2' SD/LD at under 500 lbs.