1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

8' plow for a dually???

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by FBN, Oct 8, 2009.

1. FBN

FBN Member

I have a chance to pick up a 1984 Chevy Dually 4x4 former tow truck to replace my rotten 87 2500 GMC single rear wheel and was wondering if the C-8 Meyer blade would be big enough? Anyone with any experience with this? Could I just get by with adding wings?
  2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

8 foot is just big enough for a single wheel truck. Really need a nine with a dually. Wings might do the trick for now though.
  3. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

Just get a set of wings and call it done if you already have the plow. I have a 7'6" on my single wheel, which is enough if driving straight. i run over snow a lot when turning tho, and that will be worse with a dually. nice thing about wings too-you can take them off if you have a lot of driving between jobs and don't want to deal with a 9' plow.
  4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

A set of pro wing or the ilk could be a temporary solution to your problem but I would look for a 8 1/2 or 9 footer.
  5. WreckerNut

WreckerNut Junior Member

I have an 8' Fisher on my '83 K30 and it works fine. The older chevy dually wheels don't stick out as far as the later model trucks. That is a common misconception with older chevys, because newer duallies are "fatter" in the rear. The rear on mine only hangs out less than 4" on either side, same with our old wrecker, yours is probably the same way. Some of the 70 and 80s chevy duallies actually came with a fleetside and DRWs as an option, not too many left though. If not, like everyone else said just add wings. Buying a new plow now is a bad idea.... fall prey to the pre-season price jack up.
  6. 02powerstroke

02powerstroke PlowSite.com Addict

Its most likely a cab chassie dually if it was a wrecker so its prob not as a wide as a pick up dually/ Id say that plow with wings would work fine.