1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

8' or 8.5' on 2500 HD

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Joel B., Oct 4, 2002.

1. Joel B.

Joel B. Senior Member
    from MN

Any advice on plow size? I am concerned about plow width at full angle. My truck's front tire width is 80", the 8' (Western) at full angle is 83" and the 8.5' is 88"

What would you recommend?

Joel B.

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

If your front end is rated for the 8.5 then that would be my choice (unless space is an issue where you plow).
  3. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

The only thing that will matter is what and where you are plowing. If res. go 8' 8.5' will be a little bigger and tougher to manuver (depending on the sizes of the driveways). My boss uses 8 footers on everything from gmc 2500- ford F-450. He plows lots and it really doesnt affect it in my opinion. The tires might tread a little in the snow but not that much where it will affecct your producticity. If your doing lots just go for the 8.5.
  4. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

if it matters, i put a 8 footer on my 2500HD. So far i havent regretted the decision.
  5. Mike Fronczak

Mike Fronczak Member

I have 8.5 Vee on my 2002 2500hd, and 9' straight on 1999 K3500. Both handle them fine 3500 squats more than 2500hd(same GVW).
  6. SLC1

SLC1 Senior Member

I also put a 8' Fisher on my 2500hd, all my other plows are 9'+ so I wanted one that I could cleanup between cars and other tight places but if I wanted to I would have put the larger plow on, you would not believe the amount of difference that only 6" makes. Just my two cents
  7. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

I have a 01 2500 HD Western 8.5 MVP... Great plow, no problems with single wide drives arround here. The V is great for getting arround tight corners as you have the option to expand one wing at a time.

Only thing with this truck you will want to crank up the torsion bars a few turns as thay all seem to come at their lowest setting, Causing quite a bit of front end bounce. It's something I'd ask for when buying the truck as you will need to get an alignment if kept cranked all year long, most likely dealer wont charge ya if it's when ya buy it.

OBRYANMAINT PlowSite.com Veteran
    from ohio

have an 8 on mine(02 hd) wish i went with an 8.5 or 9.2 v......it still works weel ,have wings on it so it still measures9'6" but the v would have been nice
  9. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

If your having a problem deciding on what size plow to put on that new 2500 why not look into a BLIZZARD 810 POWER PLOW?

They are a SIMA member or go directly to the site at

Your truck can handle a variety of plows and having proper tire clearance is very important. The longer the truck (ext. cab, quad cab or dually ) all add to the problem due to increased turning radius.

The power plow lets you pick the size from 8' to 10' with the touch of a button from inside the cab. The wings pitch forward to make a scoop and with one forward and one out straight you can plow with little to no trail off to clean up.

Good luck with whatever plow you decide to go with.

Jerre Heyer
  10. CJ Decking Inc.

CJ Decking Inc. Junior Member

I have been plowing with my 1996 chev 2500
    with an 8'6" western and really like the combo

We plow townhome complexes exclusivly!
  11. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

It's good your happy with your current combo, however if you are plowing townhouses you should really check out a back blade for pulling the snow out of the driveway. It's a real time saver and balances the truck out. Jerre