1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

8' or 8.5' for mostly commercial ?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by dvlscapes, Nov 18, 2007.

1. dvlscapes

dvlscapes Junior Member

I am trying to decide between an 8' and an 8.5 for plowing hotels and industrial parks. I have only plowed with skid steers in the past so sizing for truck plows is all new to me. Is there any reason why someone wouldnt want to go wider? More trouble getting in tight places... like if we land a bank contract with a tight drive through? if we have to plow a few single parking spaces would the 8.5' be any drawback? If we get a deep snow or for plowing entrances that have been plowed over would the 8.5 be to much plow in some cases?

I just want to be as efficient as I can and don't want to buy the 8' and say...this is nice but an 8.5' I would have liked better or visa versa.

Other details - I have an 04 Ram 2500 Cummins, 8' bed, reg cab. Live northwest of philly. Buying a western...and I think the V plow is too heavy for my truck, already put a lot of thought into that one and ruled it out. Most likely will buy the pro plus with a set of wings just what size would be best for me???
  2. slongfellowii

slongfellowii Senior Member

I run a 8'6" Western on my truck. 8'6" will go through most bank drives as long you have a strait shot. Most of the older ones around here are 8 feet. If they are any shorter you are going to risk scraping your truck anyway and may want to backdrag away from it anyway. As far as an 8' plow. I notice the difference right away when I hook up my other plow. It seems a lot smaller.
  3. stangman35

stangman35 Senior Member

I think you should rethink the V-blade,yeah there heavy but you can get alot done with them.I know there are alot of guys with the same truck running v plows or a blizzard 8 10 again a heavy plow but look at what you could do with it.

I know the dodges only have a 5,200 lb front end,but you could poss do airbags or timbrens.

Hopefully some dodge owners will chime in and let you know what they have done to run the plows they run.
  4. tman3007

tman3007 Senior Member

If you ruled out the V-plow, check out the Western Wideout. It looks awesome! I just bought the Western V-plow w/wings this season and love it. However, when you put it in the "V" position you lose about a foot or more in width.

The wideout wings slide out and go into a scoop mode at 10 or 10.5'. I wish I would've bought this plow:cry: It's worth looking into, so far I've heard really good things about it.