1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

8' or 8 1/2'

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Mad Mike, Dec 29, 2011.

1. Mad Mike

Mad Mike Junior Member

Hey guys, new to plowing and first time posting here. I have a 2006 Ram 2500 Hemi, QCSB, and was going to buy an 8' Western Pro plow. Dealer at this time has none in stock, but they do have an 8' 6" Pro plow in stock and it is acually $50.00 cheaper then the 8' plow.(someone ordered it and then changed there mind) I don't plan on doing any commercial plowing, just driveways at this time.
    Question. Is an 8 1/2' plow to much or should I order an 8' and just wait for it?

2. slplow

slplow PlowSite.com Veteran

Welcome to the site. I had a 8.5 and thought it was great for drives.

3. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

People post questions but leave out the facts.

What are the weights of the plows and what is the weight rating of your front axle?

4. madskier1986

madskier1986 Senior Member

New to plowing and this site too. I don't think that weight is going to be a issue with a 2500 Dodge Ram. The extra 6" depends on your preference. Bigger is not always better in some cases. If you are doing a lot of residential work, make sure the driveways are big enough for an 8-6 blade. I noticed that a few of my driveways are very tight with my blade and make it hard to work with.

5. Mad Mike

Mad Mike Junior Member

Sorry Pal, I assumed that I would get responses from guys who were familiar the the set up and my question was geared more towards - is an 8 1/2' plow to big or cumbersome to do mainly driveways or would I be better off with an 8' plow.
    Dealer said truck would handle an 8' wide out @ 955 lbs.
    But anyway,
    8 1/2' pro plow - 686 lbs.
    8' pro plow - 668 lbs.
    front axle - 5200 lbs.
    Mike

6. Mad Mike

Mad Mike Junior Member

I was thinking the same thing (Bigger is not always better in some cases.) thanks, I'll have to sleep on it.

7. OC&D

OC&D PlowSite Veteran
    from Earth

I've never owned anything less than an 8'6" straight blade (currently have a Blizzard 810). Never had a problem doing driveways with it around here. Seriously, it's only an additional 3" on each side. I'd snatch it up if you can get a deal on it.

8. Mad Mike

Mad Mike Junior Member

Thanks for the responses boys, 8 1/2' it is, having installed next week. Then just waiting for some snow.......................

9. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Good choice, bigger really is betterThumbs Up

10. Mad Mike

Mad Mike Junior Member

I think your right. Thumbs Up

11. H&HPropertyMait

H&HPropertyMait Senior Member

there is nearly 0 difference in weight between an 8' and 8'6" that wasn't his problem or his question.

Glad you went with 8'6" you'll love it.

12. Mad Mike

Mad Mike Junior Member

Thanks I think I will, and your right - a whopping 20 lbs. difference between the two plows, and thats a fact!