1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

8' or 10' pusher on a JD 328E

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by TurfSolutionsMN, Dec 30, 2014.

1. TurfSolutionsMN

TurfSolutionsMN Senior Member
    from MN

I will be purchasing another pusher before the 1st of the year. What do you guys think would be the right way to go? I currently run 8' homemade pushers. I think this skid could run a 10' but all the dealers say only run an 8'. All runs are less than 150' long and will not be trailered. Dealers also say the extra 2' isn't worth it. What do you guys think?

2. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

There's no way that machine wouldn't run a 10 foot box. I'd feel handicapped with an 8 unless it's in a lot of small or broken up lots.

3. johndeereguy

johndeereguy Senior Member
    from Iowa

I run 12 ft Arctics on my 328E skids

4. John_DeereGreen

What kind of lots are they on? Average push and property size? I bet that's a productive setup.

5. johndeereguy

johndeereguy Senior Member
    from Iowa

We work for WalMart

6. TurfSolutionsMN

from MN

all lots are wide open no obstacles. longest push is 150'. What do you guys think of a 10' snow bucket or 10' pusher. I can buy a 10' bucket with cutting edge for $1750.00 or a 10' Protech for 2900.00.

7. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

If someone else is running 12', I'd be trying to run a 14' - I'd get the biggest thing possible, especially in that open lot, heavy snow you can always take a smaller bite.

8. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

I wouldn't even consider a bucket

9. John_DeereGreen

No way I'd waste time on a bucket or rubber edge scraper. Steel edge, Arctic, or Liveboxx.

10. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

As a general rule, you can push the next larger size box with the Arctic sectional sno plow. With the slip hitch and the ability to scrape the pavement, traction is not usually an issue

A rubber edge steals HP and aren't as friendly to operate due to the fixed wings

11. John_DeereGreen

Agreed, for sure. We were running 10 foot Arctics on New Holland L175's, which is more or less a 320E Deere and had no issues at all, and some of those pushes were 400 feet. The same machines run Boss 10's now and there is a noticible difference if you're used to the Arctic's.

12. Robinson_Cnst

Robinson_Cnst Senior Member

What difference have you noticed after switching to the BOSS?

13. mnguy

mnguy Member

We run 8ft kage plows on our 328E prob should have gone with a 9ft. Transporting is a pain with a 10ft if you have to trailer it anywhere. Traction will be your only issue if you go with a 10. Wolfpaws would solve that issue

14. TurfSolutionsMN

from MN

I just purchased a 10' Protech with rubber edge. I couldn't justify spending 6k on a pusher with trip edge. I really wanted a 10' Boss but all dealers were sold out, well I guess Boss did find me one 500 miles away. They said I could order one and it will be delivered in 5 - 6 weeks. What a joke.

15. John_DeereGreen

Compared to the Arctic's they scrape like ****. There's also more drag because the edge is all one piece vs sections. IF they'd made the skid boxes like the backhoe and loader boxes then I think they would be close enough that the difference in price would make them worth saving it.

The Boss boxes are great, don't get me wrong. They're ideal for someone who wants to have something that scrapes better than a rubber edge (night and day difference from the backup Protec we have) but that doesn't want to spend a bunch of money on a sectional plow of any type, ie Arctic, Metal Pless, etc. And they're tough as hell. I've tried to break them, ramming piles, scraping ice, lots of down pressure, you name it and it hasn't hurt anything. You can't do that to an Arctic without spending big bucks on the mounting blocks afterwards.

All of our accounts are seasonal, and we also try to be very consious about the salt that we're using, so the better they scrape, the less salt we use.

They're already sold to another contractor locally and we're ordering 2 Liveboxx plows for next year, if that tells you how big of a difference it makes in my eyes. Yes, the Liveboxx is 9K by the time we get it to our door and I can buy almost 4 Boss boxes for that, but in our case it's worth it.

OP Best of luck with a rubber edge box. I'd rather shovel a lot than use a rubber edge.

16. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

there are when a bigger pusher will work, and other times when it is a strain on the machine....that said, if you are running it, you use what is right at that time, employees will not care if there is extra wear and tear on a machine

17. Robinson_Cnst

John_DeereGreen thanks for the great insite. If I had more seasonal accounts that required the use of a box I would certainly go buy an arctic. Currently our box is used on sub contracted accounts so I'm not too worried about efficiency this season.

If we pick up some larger seasonals next season and another skid I'll certainly give an Arctic a try. Let's see that 14' on your skid!

18. John_DeereGreen

Sub'd accounts, no way would I spend the money on anything more than a Boss. Not worth it, there's no payback for the increased purchase and operating costs.

Haha, I'd love to see a skid with a 14' box on it. Be quite a sight trying to just keep up with the sides and where they're at!

19. Robinson_Cnst

Sorry I meant 12'

20. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

How about this, it's not a skid steer, I hate them things, but it ain't much more.

It was a 10' Western, now it's 13.5' or so, we'll see how it does.

IMG_3967.JPG