1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

8' NON-MM Speedcast interchange w/ Pathfinder??

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by tbert, Jan 12, 2011.

1. tbert

tbert Junior Member

Hi folks,

I have an '83 Dodge W350, with proper frame plates & push beam for 8' NON-MM Fisher.
    Pin sockets on push beam are 25"w, for the 8' plow.

My trouble is I have a 7' 6" blade, and it takes 22 1/2"width at the pin sockets.

I've gone the route of adding in an extra support on one side of the push beam to properly support/accept the narrower 22 1/2" span, but come to find out it's not that easy...plow actually works/functions fine- it just won't lift all the way because it sits slightly off center..

I have,[for now] bolted a 1/2-ton push beam,[w/ 22 1/2" pin sockets], to my frame plates,and altho it allows the plow to function in it's intended full range of motion, the 1/2 ton push beam is made from 3" I-beam,...my 1-ton frame plates are set up for a 1-ton push beam - which is 4" I-beam. [which makes for alot of wiggle room where the push beam mates w/ the frame plates-not good!]

In talking to local Fisher dealers, the push beam I need for my 1-ton truck to run a 7'6" plow[properly!]...are very rare nowadays. Apparently they weren't very plentiful back in the day, because noone ran a small plow on a 1-ton...AND they are not reproduced anymore NOWadays.

SOO-O, I've advertised a little locally, trying to find someone in the reverse situation...someone who HAS an 8' Speedcast, NON-MM plow, and wants to down-size to a 7'6". The only bite I've had so far is a guy who has, what he believes to be, an 8' Pathfinder that he ran on his F350. His F350 died, and now wants a smaller blade for his F150. He says his "Pathfinder was already bolted to a Fisher setup on the F350"?? Is this possible?

I'm open to suggestions at this point. Are there other brands that I could make this swap w/? I'd think that older PRE-MM Fishers would be rather plentiful, but given the lack of response to my 4-6 weeks of 'advertising', I'm having my doubts.

Incidentally, I'm no commercial plower, this is strictly for personal use for family...that's why I even bothered to bolt on the 1/2 ton push beam. Otherwise I don't suspect it would live very long on bolt-strength alone at the frame plate sockets!! Thanks so much for your help, and patience!
  2. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

whaaaaaaaay over thinking this sir.

just cut the plow ears off the 7ft 6" blade x

then if need be get a 2.5x2.5 or 3x3 wide angle iron section few inches over the width of the 25ish inch width needed.

or if the current blade x has the correct width needed to just move the tabs/ears out and reweld on then go for it.

if not use the angle iron to weld on top of the section were the ears/tabs go. then weld on the tabs/ears to the position needed.

then clip it to the truck and go have fun.

i did this to a western blade for a guy few years ago. real easy / fast to do / and worked just like it was supost to.

hope my info helped. if you got anymore questions just ask.

and 8ft and up on the old mm1 the blades are supost to swap with speedcaster setups
  3. tbert

tbert Junior Member

Well... i DO have the welders & torch, I was just trying to get away from chopping anything?
    I read your post and I've been trying to picture exactly where you would locate the angle iron...

& it sure would be easy to just pop on the right size plow! :}

I can see modifying... if this was some type of unheard-of application, you know??

[I'm trying to figure out how to post a picture of my two different size push beams. You can see the bottom one is the 4" 1-ton version, and at the left end of it is where I added in the additional pin bracket so the 22 1/2" plow ear would fit. I thought I was ADDING to the versatility of the frame by adding this piece, that's why I did it. As I said, I don't like idea of chopping a piece to fit my needs, because then I'm stuck w/ it 'as is'.]

I DEF appreciate the suggestions, and I'm going to take a look at my setup to see how big of a deal it is to move those ears... Thanks!!

Any idea of this Pathfinder interchange?? Thanks

4. sweetk30

sorry late post last night.

should have made it more clear.

move the 2 ears on the a-frame of the plow NOT anything on the truck.

pop off the 2 ears . add width to the a-frame end with heavy angle iron 1 peice to cap right over the top of the end of the a-frame were the ears were. weld with lots of 2-3" sections and each end all over.

then just set the ears back up to the width needed and weld them to the new section you added. paint and clip in to truck and go.
  5. tbert

tbert Junior Member

here's a diagram that I struggled to put together...seems to me that the 3/8" plate that holds the piston pins, is in the way of padding out the width of the ears w/ angle iron??

The way the ears sit now is 22 1/2" wide. I'm trying to figure how the angle iron could be installed to safely widen the ears??

Sorry to be a Pain- in - the - rear...

Attached Files:

6. sweetk30

never seen that style plow your workin with.

figured the a-frame would be like a myers or fisher. solid back across.

your style like you drew up is like a fisher or old diamond a-frame. that will yes be a bit harder to do.

if it was me the only real simple fix would be your correct size main beam back on truck . but cut off the ears and move them in to whats needed and reweld them to the beam.

sad part would be then no more fisher plows would fit the beam. but you would be plowin again.

were in new england ? i have a 8 and 9ft speedcaster blade for my 1 truck. might part with 1 if the price was right but who knows. i am always lookin these days might find one and pass on it cause i dont need it. but if i know were your at then mabye i can find you one.
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2011
  7. tbert

tbert Junior Member

Well, correct me if I'm wrong,...but arent the older Fisher ears 22 1/2"w for the 7' 6" plows and 25"w for the 8' plows?? In my picture of the correct 4" push beam [the bottom black one]...the original pin locations are still there for the 25"w 8' plow.

Like I mentioned...I'd rather not change that 'stock' stuff...I only added that 22 1/2" piece to help support the long span of the pin on that side.

Right now I'm running the 3" push beam, which has the correct pin/ear locations at 22 1/2" [the top rusty one in the picture] and I don't really have regular 'accounts'... so I was hoping to just locate an 8' at some point - before the GR.8 bolts decide they don't want to be the sole pushing support for my 7' 6"! :}

The truck is a 2nd vehicle,..my personal truck for around-the-house stuff, it's the first time it's ever had a plow on it...it's an '83, and it just turned 77k miles a couple weeks ago... maybe this help explains where I'm coming from as far as mods. :} Like I stated in the outset,..I just figured it would be EASY to find an 8' blade, [of SOME TYPE/BRAND] that would pin right up to my 1-ton frame/push beam w/out hassle.

I do appreciate the input immensely. I'm interested in any swaps? Or any input or leads on an 8' Speedcaster! lol. [o ya... i'm in RI - not very close to NY] thanks!
  8. abbe

abbe Senior Member
    from RI

I'm in ri also, there are always 8' speedcast blades on craigslist
  9. tbert

tbert Junior Member

Hi Abbe, yes I know - I've been watching for them. I've heard the whole gamut of stories too, from "I couldn't get anyone to buy mine so I scrapped it", to those who think their 25 yo rusty plow is made of solid gold.

what would you think is a good price for one? 2? 4? $600? More? Remember, all i'm looking for is NON-MM. I'm not above a little touching-up either. Thanks
  10. sweetk30

nice 8ft speedcaster or mm1 blade only ? i would say 300-500 on the good end.

i paid about 300 in the end for my 9ft blade. it needs a reskin. but has a solid snow foil on it and brand new wear edge still has shiny bolt heads. and its a solid plow with non rusty pited rams. the blade hasnt even be repaird in a crapy way before. basicly a un touched virgin plow just needs a skin i can do for another 300 or so i guess.
  11. abbe

abbe Senior Member
    from RI

you can snag one all day for 500 and under. ill keep an eye out and if i spot one ill throw the link up here for you
  12. abbe

abbe Senior Member
    from RI

13. sweetk30

if thats good electric pump thay do 200-400 on ebay a lot. get most of your cash back there alone.