1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

8 ish hour route guys route income?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by birddseedd, Feb 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

For the guys that have about a 8 hour route. im curious how i stack up. what do you make in your 8 hours of plowing?
  2. Summerlawn

Summerlawn Member

Well, what do you gross for your 8 hours of work?
  3. birddseedd

700 ish. my main route is 505. then i get a few hours contracted at 35 an hour. then some stragglers, 6" guys and what not.
  4. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Enough to make it worth getting out of bed and going outside where it's cold and snowy.
  5. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I would rather go broke laying in bed then running my truck for that.
  6. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

Every market is different, when bidding I shoot for 85 an hr (we are priced seasonal or per trip), we usually are above that, even with our after hours stuff. I should add though we are probably on the high end of my market, percentage wise I don't get a lot of what we bid.
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2013
  7. vlc

vlc Senior Member

Did you say you GROSS $700?
  8. DodgeBlizzard

DodgeBlizzard Senior Member

$35 hour? I will give you all the plowing you can handle at $35 an hour.
  9. shovelracer

shovelracer Senior Member

Send 2 trucks my way please.
  10. truckitup

truckitup Senior Member

I am with RLM and Grandveiw, our market is cheap, cheap, cheap. next year will be worce with 1/2 the amount of snow for two years.
  11. DodgeBlizzard

DodgeBlizzard Senior Member

But to answer your question, twice that (comparing one plow truck if that's what you're using) and only 6 hours on this last light storm.
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2013
  12. birddseedd

Today was 540 in 7.5 hrs. Got through it pretty quick today. Tho i have another lot down the road that is 50 for 20 min. So you could say 590 in 8 hrs. Not a whole lot but is good for a startup in michigan
  13. scott3430

scott3430 PlowSite.com Addict

If that amount of $ works for you and the market your in .....more power to you. I work in a rural area with all small towns, so I probably won't be able to charge the $ of guys in big cities/suburbs.
  14. bln

bln Senior Member

$645 for 6 1/2 hours of work. And another 700 for salting it all. Takes 2 tons nd I pay 65 a ton. 5 bags of sidewalk salt.
  15. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

wait a minute - there will be a dig difference in an 8 hour route if you are subbing and being paid hourly, versus a route with your own customers that you do per job and happens to take you 8 hours to complete. which are you asking about?

you will make $xx per hour subbing (fixed price), and you will make about $xx per hour on your own accounts (variable based on snowfall amounts, weight of snow, how fast you are, etc, etc...)
  16. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

You might be better off not knowing! Pricing is all over the place depending on the area.Look at some of the pricing that guys in New Jersey are getting for example.The overhead and cost of living in my area is high.Grass always looks greener...Bottom line is what is left over at end of year.I could throw out some numbers that you would drool over! I'm not getting rich,pay my bills invest some every year,happy to be healthy!
  17. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

yeah, i have my own route and i'm reading these hourly numbers people are posting and thinking 3 things - the jobs are all 20 miles away from each other, they are super slow, and they are not charging nearly enough.

now if you are subbing at a fixed hourly rate its a different story. but if you are running your own show, then you gotta rethink things....
  18. birddseedd

I only have about a 5 hour route. Quite a bit of it i can do later in the day since they dont open till noon most days. So for the customers i dont have. i fill in my time working for him. i also have a few people working for me that do work for him.
  19. JimMarshall

JimMarshall Senior Member
    from NW PA

My routes are 5-6 hours on an average (2-3") snowfall.....6200 per plowable snow - salt included, running 7 trucks, and 2 2 man shoveling crews
  20. Raymond S.

Raymond S. Senior Member

Birdseed, this is why you are missing your family while you're plowing. My market is not that far from yours and let me tell you, you are selling yourself WAY short. Most guys on here who have decent equipment are pulling down about 3x that in 8hrs. I won't get into particulars, but if you're even THINKING of doing sub work at $35/hr you need to just look at your fuel bill. It's absurd that anyone would pay you that kind of money. Regardless of your truck (it can be a tonka truck w/ a cardboard plow for all I care) you should be at a minimum of $60/hr around here. Better equipment, more efficient, then the price goes up.

Not trying to come across cruel but I know first hand the sacrifices that are made in plowing (as does everyone else) and you need to make some aggressive changes in either your pricing or who you are doing work for before you end up on the short end of the stick. It's not worth getting out of bed for what you are doing it for now.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.