1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

8 hr.storm--danger--how much-$

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by rebuilder, Dec 23, 2008.

1. rebuilder

rebuilder Junior Member

After 20 years of experience using large and small equipment, I decided that this year,I would put a plow on my truck.
    My driveway is long and steep. I got experience by using old blue with a diamond blade.
    No brakes, no floor either. Just plan old go for it! Wide open down hill throwing snow 30 ft,and using the blade to stop. Not to mention the fact that the engine was just hanging on the frame.
    Yep lots of fun learning how to plow in my own driveway, but now I got a nice truck,fisher min.mount,brakes, wipers,windshield,and put some extra leaf springs on to hold 1000 lbs. of sand.
    What a pleasure to just plow without any risk! (well it seems like no risk,having brakes and all), Using a 2000 Ford 4x4 now.
    So my neighbor was unhappy with his plow person,and I now have the job.
    Every time I show up, they are happy.
    They have a driveway that goes down hill and ends at the edge of a drop off.I have to plow it fast and I get the job done, knowing the danger of not stopping would mean they have a nice plow truck over the bank for the winter.
    Here is the e mail I got after I sent the first bill.
    (Wow! Rebuilder, we got to talk!)
    I charged $45 per hour per plow.
    It takes at least an hour or more.
    Is this out of line?
    I had to plow twice in 8 hours. I charged $45 each time. I also shoveled the small area to the front door,and in front of each garage door, clean.
    We had some real snow here in the north east.
  2. snowman55

snowman55 PlowSite.com Addict

$45/ hr and I'm staying in bed.
  3. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

Have any pictures? Does it really take you an hour to do one drive? Maybe 45 for the first sweep and 25 for an additional would be more fair to him. Ask him what he paid his last guy.
  4. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

Collect your money and have him call his old plow guy back end of story, don't give in just because he's your neighbor and $45.00 is at the low end for plowing good luck.
  5. rebuilder

rebuilder Junior Member

I do think the price is fair, or maybe low.
    I am afraid to ask the auto parts store or gas station for 25% discount on the second part of the storm! I expect to pay for two brake cylinders even if I buy one at 7AM and the next one at 4PM.
    The gas price sometimes goes up before the day is over, but I keep my hourly rate at $45 for a whole season.
    As far as photos, ol blue (well are you sure you would want to see her?)
    The driveway is 25'x60' and 14'x38' in the front of the house.I run very fast to do it in an hour.
    I must go over it to push it back while I am plowing, as the cost of a loader is more if you do not keep it back as far as possible.
    I also included hand sanding in the hour once or twice and hand shoveling the walk and in front of the garage doors. A real clean job.
  6. rebuilder

rebuilder Junior Member

This may happen in the next meeting.
    Last 6 times I showed up, they were so excited to seem me, that they actually stood outside without a coat on (12 degrees) and chatted with me.
    I spent 2.5 hours yesterday shoveling half of their roof. (18" deep at top and it makes 24" deep at the eve when you through the snow down the roof)
    Now that is hard work,and it has to be done as fast as you can. One side of the house is 80'x25'.
    What do you guess I charged for this? Remember ladder,shovel,no shingle damage, and danger!
  7. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

Okay with the sanding and shoveling it seems like a good price. But if you were just plowing, thats about a 15 min job.
  8. rebuilder

rebuilder Junior Member

You ain't't from around here are You?

It takes about 12 to 15 min. just to remove the barrier of snow delivered by the town plow. Yesterday it was a 40 inch wall to brake through before I even got in the driveway.

I guess you need a photo or better yet a movie.
    Would be a nice feature to have for the forum.
    Maybe you could point out any of my wasted moves if you came with me for the ride.
    Lets grab a cup of coffee and see if you dare take a sip while riding with me.:drinkup:
  9. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

Rebuilder, just remember, Money, Family, and Friends do not mix.

Maybe your neighbor thought that the Roof cleaning was a freebe because your were neighbors. You are already dirt cheap in price as it was. Let the other guy do all that work.

Good Luck and let us know how you make out with this problem.
  10. LHK2

LHK2 Senior Member

Are your dimensions correct, thats only 2000 sq. A truck w/a 8ft should be able to plow 43000 sq in 1 hour with a slow driver. Just saying.
  11. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

Haha, I would love to take a ride but when you get snow, I usually do too. A video would be awesome. Im not trying to bash you. So please dont take it personally.
  12. rebuilder

rebuilder Junior Member

I think they will not want anyone else, but I will consider it as a possibility.

I think they think we are still in the 50's when you got your sidewalk shoveled for $0.50
    The money thing got out of control.
    Money only worked for 100 years. Now it is braking down.
    During the industrial revolution it worked very well as everyone had opportunity, then as time passed the power of money became a tool to gain over others.
  13. rebuilder

rebuilder Junior Member

Yes I know your are not bash, thanks
    I estimate 25 to 30 back ups, and 20 stops to move snow around a bend or push it up onto the lawn. I must turn sharp over a bolder while dropping into the garage door area to plow as close to the doors as possible. Then I turn around and push from the other side.

LHK2, Anyone can plow 5000 sq.ft. of snow in open areas pushing straight ahead in 20min.
  14. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

I would say an average per hour rate for PLOWING is $100. Of course you will get less for shoveling.
  15. rebuilder

rebuilder Junior Member

Am I that far off?

I just called the local roofing contractor. I asked if they had anyone available to help me shovel snow off the roof.
    He said sorry booked up till Friday.
    I said well how much do you charge?
    $65 per hour.
    I charged $30 per hour, and my customer wrote this a few min. ago.
    (The frills are nice but the budget is tight)
    I will move slowly to say sure next time.
    Forum leaders we need a smiley of shooting oneself in the head from both sides!
  16. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

I totally agree with this. Between my pay, plus truck, fuel, insurance.... it doesn't make sense to work for $45 per hour.

Yes, you are that far off. Sounds like you need to have a conversation with the neighbor about what he wants as far as service goes. i.e. what are the "frills" he is talking about?
  17. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

I charge 125 an hour. what you charge is cheap, real cheap. I am not from your area but u need to tell ur neighbor that is what it costs to plow his drive. if he does like it tell him have a nice winter. and 30 an hour for roof cleaning is cheap. really really cheap. the more danger the higher the premiums you have ,the more you need to charge.don't get mad at guys for their opinions, you asked for them. a picture of the drive would help a lot and the size seems very managable. not an hours worth but I can't see it, I have a t lane drive 100' long on a hill, 50 *to push it each time im there somethimes 3 times a storm. they pay. because if they don't they don't make it up there deive. it takes me five minutes to do. easy drive but the hill raises the price.good luck.
  18. rebuilder

rebuilder Junior Member

Well the story ends with a positive side!
    I am too tired to write right now, because I worked so hard on the roof.
    Please excuse me while for looking for some rest and relaxation tonight.
    However because of everyone's help on this, I was able to make something
    good out of this.
    Details when I recover.
  19. daninline

daninline Senior Member

$100 at least per hour or I'm selling the truck.

How I bid a driveway for the most part.
    1. size
    2. back dragging
    3. hills
    4. danger
    5. est time
    6. type of driveway

sometimes you just have to say no...
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2008
  20. BMWSTUD25

BMWSTUD25 Senior Member

i know some areas are more than others and this thread doesnt need to end up in a heated debate like the others with blah blah blah i dont get out of bed for XXX number of dollars but your hourly rate is very very cheap!! If he wasnt happy then move on and dont put anymore thought into it. oh and charge a little more and then if and when something breaks on your truck you'll have the money to cover it :)