1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

8' hd mm2 lift query

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by tkrepairs, Jan 15, 2008.

1. tkrepairs

tkrepairs Senior Member
    from maine

occasionally when i lift the plow from the ground, it goes up normal then about half way it will "pop" or "jump" then continue up to the top. it does it just once, no hammering effect or anything like that. i couldnt see any obstructions and i dont think the chain was binding on anything, it seemed hydraulic to me. anybody else have this issue? it just started happening during the last storm. it doesn't happen often but when it does it catches me off guard. on the other hand it does help shake snow off the blade, but id rather it didn't unless i wanted it to lol.

2. tkrepairs

tkrepairs Senior Member
    from maine

do i have a deviant plow? lol no one has had this happen?

3. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Can't say I know exactly what you're experiencing, but it sorta sounds like the chain might have been hung or twisted (I'm just thinking of the simplest answer).

4. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

I would agree, thats the most likely cause.

5. tkrepairs

tkrepairs Senior Member
    from maine

ill take another look but it looked fine the first time around. how would the chain get twisted without being adjusted? thanks guys

6. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

With the new MM2's lift arm retraction cable pulling the piston all the way down, there's always slack in the chain in the down position, something we never experienced before with conventional Fishers or the orginal MM. A link can easily get turned around or caught up on something like the A-frame or the other chain links. I'm hoping it's nothing with the hydraulics, but being so relatively new it really shouldn't be. There may also be the chance that there's something foreign in the hydraulic fluid, so a cheap troubleshoot would be to change out the fluid & clean the filter. Worst case, you still notice the same situation, but you have new fluid in there. Good luck!

~Kevin

7. tkrepairs

tkrepairs Senior Member
    from maine

upon a quick look everything seemed normal, but when i lifted the plow i found that it somehow had moved over a link. one side of the chain was slack and the other was supporting the full weight of the setup. maybe that extra slack was enough to cause a problem? i moved it back a link and now when i raise it up the weight of the plow keeps both sides of the chain tight. ill have to wait for another storm to really test it out. lifting and lowering and turning in the driveway didnt produce any problems, but then again it only happened once in a while.

8. Plowin in VT

Plowin in VT Senior Member

I had the same problem. One side of the chain had an extra link, and had some slack in it. When I lifted the plow, I believe that I had the same symptoms as you. I tightened that side, and it's been fine.

9. tkrepairs

tkrepairs Senior Member
    from maine

unfortunately the "6-10" we were supposed to get on friday was just rain and slush then it warmed up to about 45 degrees so i had nothing to do. ive heard a couple inches tonight..... maybe some monday.... maybe some wednesday.... who knows. i just want to test the plow and make some ching