1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

8 ft western unimount questions any suggestions

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by mengle, Jan 11, 2015.

1. mengle

mengle Junior Member

I bought a 8 ft western unimount for 200$ complete plow. I know this is very cheap and the plow is cosmeticly in good standing.i know for this price I'm going to have to but parts. My question when the plow swings freely to the left and the right. I'm wondering why is the hydrolic system letting the plow swing freely with no resistance. I check the plow does have hydrolic fluid in it.
    My other question is when I plug my controler into the truck with the plow mounted I only have hibeams and the plow controler does not light up or habe power and the plow does not move.this controler works i tested it on my ultramount.This set up is on a 1999 ram 2500. I am not familiar with the unimount setup all I know is this system uses relays.

2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

The free movement on the angle rams suggests they are full of air or perhaps there is a valve problem. You need to get the pump running to purge the air so deal with the controller first.

Assuming this is an Isarmatic with the integrated lift ram into the hydro unit...

There is a red wire coming off the control harness about a foot back from the controller plug. Follow that wire to where it is connected to an ignition source. This wire must be hot (with the key on) for the controller to turn on.

The lights on that system are completely independent from the function controls, unlike the isolation module system. You need to find the relay pack and test the relays. Look for broken wires or broken tabs on the relays. There may be as many as six depending on the vehicle and headlight type.

Figure out what type of system you have (how many relays and how many pins at the grill, 9 or 12) and then look at this link for your schematic. http://library.westernplows.com/ddcommon/dd_pdf/pdfs/22373.07_110108_for_web.pdf

3. mengle

mengle Junior Member

Yes their is a red wire looks like 16 gauge or smaller about a foot in that comes out of the wire wrap it is cut. How do I go about correcting this issue.im not sure if this makes a diffrence but the controller plug is a 6 plug.and the lights automatically turn the plow lights on and turns the truck off like the ultramount does

4. mishnick

The red wire needs to be connected to the fuse box on a fuse that is only hot when the key is on. I use little fuse taps that hook under and existing fuse. Just make sure you connect to the protected side of the fuse. Use a test light to find a fuse that is only hot with the key on and then pull the fuse, once it is out use the test light to find the hot and cold side of the socket. Connect the fuse tap on the cold side.

When you say six pins you are talking about the controller plug. You need to look at the grill plugs that connect the plow to the truck. There will be one with two large pins and the second one will have either 9 or 12 pins. This is critical to finding the correct schematic. Then you need to count the number of relays and of course the type of headlights. HB1, HB3, etc.

All Western plow systems automatically switch the lights from truck to plow when plow is mounted.

5. mengle

mengle Junior Member

The controller is a 6 pin
    The lights are two prong and the pump is a 12 plug

6. mishnick

So now we know it is a uni straight blade with the 12 pin electrical. Next you need to figure out the headlight type and the number of relays on the Western control harness. The headlights will say on the glass lens their type. If it's a GM with four headlights (2 high and 2 low beams) you will find two different numbers, most other vehicles have single headlight bulbs with both high and low beam in one. Look at the glass lens and you will see HB3 and HB4 (quad lights on GM) or perhaps a pair of HB5. Next dig out the relay bundle which will probably be on the driver's side stuffed into the fender under the hood.

After you have that information you will be able to look up your schematic in the link I sent above and then it's up to you and your test light to track down the problem.

7. mengle

mengle Junior Member

so i reattached the wire to the ignition switch like you said and the control lights up. But when i go to use the plow nothing happens. The plows light work all except low beam. When pressing the controller i hear a distinct click coming from the starter but nothing else. The hydraulic fluid in the motor goes just about the silver box that is connected to the filter. Where do i go from here?

8. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

I'm confused. You hear the solenoid click but the motor doesn't turn? Did you check every single relay for power? Western schematics for the low beam Will tell you which wires should have juice for the low beams.

9. mishnick

If the controller lights up and the motor relay clicks then you need to test the motor relay output. Get someone to hit the up button (to make the relay click) and then test the two big lugs on the motor relay for power. The side connected to the battery positive should light up bright all the time. The other side, the output, should light up when the relay is activated. If the output does not light up you need a new relay.

Of course, nothing will happen on the plow unless the pump motor spins up.

The headlight issue is another problem. You need to dig the headlight relay pack out of the engine compartment and check them for broken or corroded connections.

10. mengle

mengle Junior Member

I know this is off topic to this thread but instead of starting a new you are quite knowledgable with westerns. I currently have a hts on my 12 ram 1500 i want to upgrade to the midweight and I'm having a hard time finding any reviews about the midweight anywhere. the corner of my plow bottom out when exiting my drive way now i took the lowering bracket off. would the midweight lift the plow blade higher. Over all do you think it is worth it to upgrade to the mid weight?