1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

8 ft V box on a short bed... Would this work?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Yarden of eden, Nov 30, 2010.

1. Yarden of eden

Yarden of eden Member

I am looking at a decent used snow-ex vee pro 8000 but I only have short bed trucks. I don't really want to have to buy a new truck to run a decent sized V box, and it seems to me that it should technically work. Has anyone tried this?

2. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

It will put too much weight on the rear of the truck as the load moves towards the rear as you use it. Either buy a 6' spreader and put sides on it to give you more capacity, or buy a real work truck instead of those girly family trucks. j/k

3. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Yes it will work.

I have a SP8500 and the pre-wet combo set up in my 6 1/2 ft bed.

I would match my "girly truck" against any 2500 on the road and probably win in load capacity.

4. Maleko

Maleko Senior Member
    from Ct

I am interested in this as well, Do you have a pick?
    Thanks

5. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

6. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

dont buy a snowex 8000

7. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

Should be okay

I run a SnowEx 7550 in a short bed and it works fine

8. skeleton2135

skeleton2135 Junior Member
    from 419

please elaborate for the rest of us. Thanks

9. deicepro

Not to piss anybody off or anything, but I had a 8000 model and it was a bad design.
    It has an auger but just above the spinner, it does not run the length of the hopper. I always had to shovel the salt to the back of the hopper it would not feed itself. Not bashing anyone who has one just letting you know there were lots of complaints about this design

10. Yarden of eden

Yarden of eden Member

Thanks for all the info guys. I have been running a Western 2500 and it is the worst POS I have ever seen. Crappy material flow, weak motor, clogs easily, and when it isnt clogging, I have to drive slower than idol speed to get enough coverage. I'm sick of the BS so really want to upgrade to a V box. Not stuck on the snow-ex 8000, just saw a decent price on one. I like the idea of a poly one because I need to be able to put it in my truck with 2 or 3 guys tops. I have a Chevy 2500 HD, but the rear suspension is off a 4500 so I dont think that weight will be an issue. This truck used to be a railroad truck so they set it up really heavy duty to haul rail and such. Any other advice would be great!

11. deicepro

Mind me asking what is the asking price on the 8000 model that you saw?

12. Yarden of eden

Yarden of eden Member

It was $2250

13. EvenCutLawnCare

EvenCutLawnCare Senior Member

Mine has two vibrators and I rarely have a problem with the material not getting to the auger....

14. Gmgbo

Gmgbo Senior Member

I see guys around here that run 8ft steel vbox on shortbed trucks with the tailgate down. Idk if I would do it, but they seem to do less damage if you put two pieces of 8ft lumber underneith.

15. Yarden of eden

Yarden of eden Member

Interesting I will remember that

16. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

REMOVE THE TAILGATE!
    If you do not remove it you may as well have a new one waiting in the spring. It will beat it into a warped U and you will not be able to close it.

If I did not have the pre-wet system it would fit the same as a 8 ft bed with space for a 4x4 up front. :nod:

You have to remember that it needs to over hang some for the chute and spinner. Look at the picture SnowEx uses to advertise the V's on a 8 ft bed. They have full sized tool boxes in front of them. Subtract that tool box width and you have a 6 1/2 ft bed.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2010
  17. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

The rear suspension is off a 4500? Really? I'd like to know how you pulled that off

18. Yarden of eden

Yarden of eden Member

I didn't pull off anything. That's what the guy who sold me my tuck said. I was given proof that the thing rode the rails, and some maintenance records. I have this truck, an 01 2500 HD and an 03 2500HD and the rear end sits way higher on the 01, its way stiffer in the back. I had the whole rear end full of rock and a 7x10 trailer full and it barely even lowered the box.

19. Yarden of eden

Yarden of eden Member

Awesome! I guess I never really noticed that. I have just started kicking around the idea of running one, so I haven't even checked one out up close. I fear that I may buy a crummy one by accident since I'm so used to this piece of crap tailgate one.

20. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Here is the picture they use on the sales literature. Notice the full sized tool box in front of it. Also notice the overhang on the back. Mine only sits back 6 more inch's because of the fluid tank in front of it. Otherwise it fits the same and uses the same mounting hardware as the 8' bed.

v-box.jpg

v-box.jpg