1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

8 ft.mm and 94'f250 questions

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by bill 1964, Aug 29, 2009.

1. bill 1964

bill 1964 Junior Member

hello everyone, new member here and a great website! any how i have three questions.
    i just bought a fisher mm1 with an 8' blade to put on my 94' f250.
    #1. i called a local fisher dealer and they told me the hardware kit for the push plates to install them on the truck is 65$, does that seem right ? i have the parts break down and probably can do that cheaper.
    #2. my 94' f250 has a front suspension rating of 3850# plus reserve cap. of 440#, will that be enough for this plow or will i need to add some leaf's up front ( it does, however have the dana 50 ifs. as opposed to the dana 44 ifs, also i will be plowing a few drive ways, not streets)
    #3. i never plowed before, will i benifit using ballast weight in the bed? its a regular cab, long bed with a 5.8 gas engine, auto trans.
    it used to be shovels were good, snow blowers were awesome. now i even hate the snowblower so i figured it was time for a plow ! thanks....bill

2. SuperdutyShane

SuperdutyShane PlowSite.com Addict

Hmm, I have basically the same truck as you. I dont know much about the prices but Id be willing to guess that sounds about right. Anything you buy from the dealer is going to be more expensive anyway. I think you will be good as far as front suspension goes... As far as ballast goes, its kind of an opinionated thing. Some people like using it some dont. Theres nothing wrong with shovels :p

3. SuperdutyShane

Oh, and of course, welcome to the site.

4. bill 1964

bill 1964 Junior Member

thanks superdutyshane, it sure would be easyier to buy the "bolt bag kit" as fisher calles it, it would be funny if they called it a nut bag kit, lol

5. SuperdutyShane

Lol. I mean if you have an hour here or there you could probably find out the contents of the bag and go to your local Lowes or something.

6. plowinginma

plowinginma Senior Member
    from MA

If I remember correctly you might need to put a rod on a couple of the nuts to get them in the frame... the kit comes with the hardware all correct size and length.. not to mention install tips... good luck..

7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Still need that shovel to get in close.:D

Kinda like condoms. they are never a bad idea, but some people ignore the obvious and look at the result.

There is a man giving advice based on experience, as opposed to the inane gibberish of a pre-pubescent amateur.

8. SuperdutyShane

Wow...? Sorry?

9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

You should apologize. Giving this man advice like you know what you are talking about. Remember Abe Lincoln's famous quote "it is better to remain silent and be thought a fool then to speak up and remove all doubt."

Pay attention to your elders and continue studying and by the time you graduate high school maybe you'll have something to contribute.

10. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

Maybe you should contribute by by keeping your opinions to yourself. You mean to tell me all your advice has been 100%? Not at all. Maybe you should grow up instead of trolling posts

I mean really what did your post contribute? Add timbrens instead of another leaf it would be cheaper? Not really if he knows how to install a leaf they would be cheaper. It could also benifit in the handling of truck. And your other bit of helpfull knowledge is telling him his axle is a lighter duty thatn todays standards? OOh and ofcourse the show stopper add ballast!!!!! I never have plowed wit it and never will. Also never needed it. Maybe since you run a half ton or a ranger your truck needs all the help it can get. But almost all 3/4 and above really dont need it. Except the chevys to stop the nose dive.

Oh yeah let us not forget what you really contrinuted to the post. You insluted a 14 year old. Wow your my hero!!!

Last edited: Aug 31, 2009
  11. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Advice from the bottom of the bottle:jester:

Last edited: Aug 31, 2009
  12. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

Yeah I figured a response like that from you. Bottom of bottle? Sorry old timer I dont know that saying. Oh and i dont drink at all

13. bill 1964

bill 1964 Junior Member

thanks everyone for the help. today i ordered the bolt kit from central parts (57$) as opposed to piecing it out, seems to be the best bet. hopefuly ill get them soon so i can work on it after work later this week and/or on the weekend... hopefully the weather stays nice for a while !
    more questione's to come....thanks, bill

14. SuperdutyShane

Good luck be sure to tell us how you make out. :salute:

15. plowinginma

plowinginma Senior Member
    from MA

A smart man for taking good advise..LOL good luck...

16. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Good move. Was it much cheaper to order that way then buy locally? If you buy locally, you don't feel like such a dog if you have to go in with a question.

17. bill 1964

bill 1964 Junior Member

actually, it was only 8$ cheaper to buy online but the local dealer i called dident have them in stock plus their not open on saturday's yet untill later this fall.
    for me to get over to the dealer after work during the week is kind of tough.
    ill snap a few pics as i work on the old dog and post them...bill

18. 2005_Sierra

2005_Sierra Senior Member

once you get the truck all set up be sure to post pics of the truck and plow, and welcome to Plowsite

19. bill 1964

bill 1964 Junior Member

update

just an update, i did not get the hardware kit yet for the push plates as their on back order but i worked on the truck yesterday, got the push plates installed loosely, used the original shock tower bolts which acording to fisher their to be re used anyway.
    it was alot easyier than it looked, usually the other way around !
    any how i have some pics, i hope this link works. http://s573.photobucket.com/album. also included a pic of my new truck as well

20. bill 1964

bill 1964 Junior Member

sorry about the link, its not working... ill try to figure it out