1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

8 foot mm2 will not engage on my 1/2 ton

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by what I thinking, Dec 29, 2013.

1. what I thinking

what I thinking Junior Member
    from Maine

Ok I know I shouldn't put an 8 ft plow on a 1/2 ton truck, but I only plow my drive way with it, and it is a long drive way with some edge clearance issues. Any way I currently have a 2000 chevy 1/2 ton running a 7.5 mm2 3 plug, I bought an 8 ft mm2 3 plug, and I can not get that plow to engage with my truck! The fames look exactly the same! any ideas? I have no problems installing the 7.5, I've tried installing the 8ft 3 times...

2. what I thinking

from Maine

never mind

Well what ever the problem is, I just swapped the 8 foot blade onto my 7.5 foot frame, problem solved and the frame is in better condition any way. LOL Not an easy task on your own!

3. buddymanzpop

buddymanzpop Senior Member

They both should have fit, I have had 7 1/2, 8 and even a 9 foot MM2 on the same 1/2 ton, the 9 foot was because the 1 ton lost a fuel pump and had to be towed and we took the plow off the truck before towing it, did not push any snow just got the plow back to the yard.

4. what I thinking

from Maine

I know I don't get it, I've never had a problem putting a plow on my truck before I've had 4 or 5 trucks now with MM 1 or 2's never couldn't get one on! The plow was on a later model 3/4 ton Chevy, but that should have nothing to do with it! so weird...

5. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

Was the 7'6'' an SD?

6. what I thinking

from Maine

Yes it was SD

7. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

Thats why it didn't fit. The SDs and HDs used to have different headgear/mount width differences, but I believe they are the same on brand new plows, but I'm not 100% sure.

8. buddymanzpop

If they both have the MM2 headgear as you say they should fit as they are all 29 1/8" center to center where they mount to the push plates. There was a 25" center to center MM1 headgear set that would carry a 6'9" blade it was part number 22230, measure the distance between the mounting points on the headgear where it mounts to the push plates on the truck.

9. what I thinking

from Maine

It is for sure MM2 mount, has the handle on both set ups, the plow lines up with the push plates, it just won't engage when I push it up to lock in, it is almost like the plow is hitting on something below, it is so weird I climbed under the truck and could not see anything. I may try again one last time, but it really isn't that important now, because I swapped blades. still it is very odd...

10. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Do you have enough slack in the lift chains to push the headgear back?

11. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Ice buildup in the headgear where the push plates go will cause that problem too. Like Kimber said, make sure you have the lift cylinder pushed all the way down.

12. buddymanzpop

This is most likely the situation.

13. atrinh15

atrinh15 Junior Member

Yea thats a huge problem if you dont have enough slack in the chain to push it back. Best way to find out put a jack under the A frame and lift up. If it pushes back with ease than it was the slack in chain. Ive tried putting a plow off a chevy on to a ford and with no slack you couldnt put it on unless you lifted the plow.