1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

8' Fisher HD cutting edge

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by automoto, Nov 7, 2011.

1. automoto

automoto Member

I just bought a new 8' Fisher HD plow for my truck. Its my first plow and have a few newbie questions, i noticed other fisher plows have the black cutting edge on the bottom and this one doesn't do i need to buy a cutting edge? Also what controller will come with the plow the fish stick or the other one? thanks ussmileyflag

2. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

You can run it for a while with out a cutting edge but, you will eventualy have to buy a cutting edge. I would suggest buying one before you eaven use the plow. You should have discused what controler was coming with the plow when you bought it. You can have either controler, it's up to you.

3. automoto

automoto Member

Ok thanks my appt to bring the truck in is dec 2nd :/ so ill discuss with them the controller and edge then. Im leaning towards gettin the fishstick

4. Moss Man

Moss Man Senior Member
    from Maine

I'd opt for the Fishstick and the lighter cutting edge, I had one that was 5/8" thick and 8" tall, it was too heavy for the trip edge springs causing it to trip to easily and chatter excessively,

5. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

I would go with the fish stik. I know my friend got new 8 foot HD a plow about a month ago and aways had a joystick,but the fisher dealer talked him into a fish stik.Told him if he didn't like it he could bring it back and swap it for a joystick.I would put a cutting edge on it for sure I think the skids are pointless to use I drilled four holes in both skids and bolted on a set of dollys.

6. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I have a Fish Stick but, I like the joy stick better though.

7. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Look at some of your local Machine shops too and see if they can make you an edge.

I had a shop near me make my cutting edge to my specs, including being able to flip it over after one side wears. On top of it I had them cut two 9" sections to double up the ends to get better wear.

They did all that for about 80 bucks less than a stock blade and the steel is also harder than stock.

8. automoto

automoto Member

thanks for all the replies guys Thumbs Up, i called the dealer i'm taking it to and they said around $170 for a new cutting edge. Hopefully this is something i can do myself idk if i want to shell out more money for labor just for putting on a new edge lol. Although its only money right? lol payup

9. chevyzrule810

Get some cutting edge bolts.Take a floor jack and center the cutting edge on floor jack then jack the cutting edge in place and put the bolts in and tighten the bolts with an impact gun.The best type of labor is free labor :)

10. automoto

automoto Member

chevy thats what i'll probably do, so i'm assuming the bolts don't come with the edge?

11. chevyzrule810

I've never had to replace a cutting edge but I have replaced cutting edge bolts as the plow had carriage bolts in instead of cutting edge bolts.When you buy the cutting edge ask for bolts.I think I paid $20.00 for 8 bolts with lock washers and nuts.

12. automoto

automoto Member

thx chevy, didn't realize there was a difference in bolts. Learn something new everyday haha, definitely have a lot to learn about plowing and equipment!

13. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

I'm confused, why are the cutting edge bolts different from a carriage bolt? They should be the same other than dealer pricing.

14. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

std carriage bolts are grd 2 . farm equipment and construction and snow removale stuff is min grd 5 or 8 . if you use std off the local hardware store stuff you will pop bolts and loose a edge before you relise its gone.

15. nepatsfan

nepatsfan Senior Member

Make sure you never cease the bolts on the cutting edge. We always have someone whack the head of the bolt with a two pound hammer while the person underneath hits it with the impact. I would have two guys do it. Each of you put a big screwdriver in the hole on your end to hold it temporarily and then put a couple bolts in to hold it. After that you are golden. Its really easy to do the hard part would be getting an old one off.....sometimes they can be stubborn, but since yours is new you dont have to worry about that.

16. chevyzrule810

sweetk is right I repainted my friends plow last season and he gave me new carriage bolts from HD for the cutting edge and I told him he needed cutting edge bolts and he wouldn't spend the money.After digging the cutting edge out of the snowbank he put cutting edge bolts.Must have been fun loading the edge into the bed of the truck alone. :)

17. chevyzrule810

I forgot the putting something in the holes to hold the edge in place.Thanks for catching that nepatsfan.How about the patriots against the giants sunday.I thought they had it won after they scored in the end of the 4th quarter.

18. nepatsfan

nepatsfan Senior Member

Im still sick over it......

19. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

and fyi good dealer includes bolts with new edg last i checked in my area.

20. nepatsfan

nepatsfan Senior Member

Here too...when you buy the edge it comes with the bolts.