1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

8' Curtis Snow Pro 3000 vs. 8' Fisher MM

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by WreckerNut, Oct 10, 2009.

1. WreckerNut

WreckerNut Junior Member

Hey guys! I'm finally upgrading my old faithful Chevy K30's set up. Been using the old 8' Fisher Conventionals for years, but want to upgrade to an electro-hydraulic unit. Stuck between two models... Curtis' SnowPro 3000 and the Fisher Minute Mount. I do a mix of driveways and mid-sized commercial lots. Been a Fisher fan for years, but a few buddies run the Curtis set ups and swear by them. Any input on the subject would be awesome!!!
    Thanks!!!!!!!!!

2. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

no problems with my curtis shes about 7-8 years old.

3. jimspro

jimspro Senior Member

hey wreckernut, are you in the towing biz too? we never used a curtis,had lots of westerns, ( still have 4 western straight blades) and now have 4 boss v-plows, love them, big time

4. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

IMO- Fisher's just look far better built than Curtis plows- if you've had good luck with Fisher why change?

Just my $.02

5. WreckerNut

WreckerNut Junior Member

Yep, I'm in the towing biz... which means when it snows I need to be 20 places all at once, lol. We acutally have a couple of our older wreckers outfitted with plows.
    MKWL- That was my first impression about the Curtis plows too, mainly the location of the hydraulics. they seemed to be in a sorta "high shock" area directly behind the plow. One of my buddies' who has a Curtis is.... shall we politely say.... a bit of a "Cowboy." He has had his for several years now, and the only thing he managed to do to it was bend the truckside mounting bar by hitting a manhole cover in one of his huge lots at a generous 40+ mph. So I mainly attribute that to driver error, not so much blame on the equipment, although a little is deserved I guess. I do agree the Fishers look alot beefier in everything from the blade itself to the head gear and frame. Hmm decisions, descisions......

6. murray83

murray83 Senior Member

Are you looking at a full trip blade or a trip edge from Curtis? if so thats comparing apples to oranges

I own a 8 foot trip edge Curtis and love it,my dealer is better than my local Fisher one,parts are priced better and I love the speed of the hydraulics.

The Curtis weighs more than the Fisher its 795 pounds vs. the 717 from Fisher,both are made from 11 guage steel,same number of vertical ribs

only differences is the Fisher is an inch taller in height than the Curtis,and the angle rams are 1.5'' by 11 for the Curtis and 1.5'' by 12 for the Curtis

Its been said before on this site but go with which dealer you trust in more,both plows are excellant and will work for you.

I've owned plows from both and have nothing bad to say about both companies just my Curtis was one heck of a deal at the time

7. GPS

GPS Senior Member
    from MA

So far, I've always stuck with Fisher stuff. Mainly because that's what my Dad always had, and that's what I was raised knowing. Aside from that, New England has always historically been "Fisher Country". I see some Boss plows, a couple Meyer plows, maybe a Western, Blizzard, or Curtis here and there, but almost all Fishers. Parts for Fisher plows are much easier to locate around here, as are people who are familiar with them. Not so much with the Curtis. Odd, because I'm not far from where Curtis plows are (were?) built in Worcester.

I'm not saying Curtis plows are bad. I don't think that at all. I just stick with Fisher for the reasons above, and that I've not been disappointed with them so far.

8. WreckerNut

WreckerNut Junior Member

Thanks guys. Got lucky and found a super deal on a mm1 fisher. More used parts out there for the Fishers and as a mechanic, and broke individual, I thought it was a better fit. Rather scavange the junkyards than wait for a stupid customer service rep to put me on hold again then tell me they don't know what part I am talking about. Thanks for the input!!