1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

8' Boss straight Blade lift / angle problem

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by playball682, Jan 20, 2011.

1. playball682

playball682 Junior Member

Hey, does anyone have this problem too ?
    8' Boss straight blade super duty. Sometimes the up / down or angle left / right
    does not work until you bang it on a snow bank. The motor does run but no lift / angle .This happens a few times each storm. I changed the fluid in it this year, have always used dextron . ANY SOLUTIONS ?

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Could be a dirty filter screen in the tank. You'd have to take the tank off the pump to check. Also could be low fluid too. I know you said you changed it, but it could be low.
  3. playball682

playball682 Junior Member

Fluid is good.. Never thought about the screen... I'll check into that. Tks

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

That'd be my best guess because if you are hitting the buttons on the controller that cancels out the controller and the relays and if you bounce it around and what not it will work after so my guess is the screen.
  5. aeronutt

aeronutt Senior Member

I've had that problem a few times. It's caused by a bit of crud getting lodged in the solenoid that controls left/right angling. The motor runs, but the solenoid doesn't open. You can prove that the solenoid is TRYING to work by activating the left/right command and holding a wrench at the end of the solenoid. The magnetic attraction should grab the wrench. Make sure you don't allow the plow to kill you if it accidentally decides to work while you are down there! Banging it into a snow bank while trying to angle the blade causes the hydraulic relief to open and seems to blow the crud loose so the solenoid can operate again. The crud is still in there though, so you need to change the oil, clean the screen, and blow out the lines. I'll be doing the same thing to my plow this week to fix the same problem...

Oh yeah, Dextron isn't my first choice of fluid either. I think that argument has already been hashed over about a million time on this forum though...
  6. plowzilla

plowzilla Senior Member

If your going to take those silenoids off the hydraulic manifold, read up on re-installing them. If you torque those nuts too tight you will squish the inner halves of the valves. I cannot remember but I believe the nuts where to be hand tightened with a 1/8 or 1/4 turn, thats it. Unfortunately, I learned this from experience.
  7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

It's not an individual valve issue. You didn't say what year it is but if you losing ALL the functions you're likely losing ground on the main brown coil ground wire. Certainly would explain why banging it around restores operation of all functions. Easy enough to pull the pump cover and check it.

That one still fresh in your head Glen? :D
  8. tbrownell

tbrownell Member

I have this same issue with my 9'2" v. I know its not a dirty screen because I had the tank rust out last year and installed a brand new one in November. at that time I replaced both of the screen with new screens and the old ones are still clean. I have also replaced the plow side and truck side wiring recently. Mine ended up being a dead motor. When I would hit a bank it would shake the brushes up enough to keep it going for a little bit but it didn't last too long.