1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

8' boss poly

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by secret_weapon, Jan 26, 2008.

1. secret_weapon

secret_weapon Senior Member

So i've noticed that the front of the poly blade is getting pretty scratched up and rough. I spray FF on it, only lasts a few hours before snow starts sticking again.

My problem is that with the poly moldboard getting rough, it seems to make the snow stick easier. I was wondering if anyone had some input on fixing this. Maybe sanding smooth?
    Suggestions on what to use?

Thanks

2. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

How about giving it a good coat of wax? I thought about trying that soon, but havent found the motivation yet in this cold.

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Don't sand the poly sheet..it makes it worse.

Guys seem to find that waxing them does work. Some use automotive wax...but a few have used actual ski wax and find it works better and stays on longer.:nod:

4. secret_weapon

secret_weapon Senior Member

It's got some pretty good scratches in it though. Maybe sand then wax? I dont want to think about a new board. I'll try to post a pic to show how bad it is.

I do like the idea of ski wax!!

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Pics would be great...

FYI: Don't know what you "snow budget" is for the year but a new replacement genuine Boss poly sheet is about $220 or so..

6. My Boss is a 99
    I apply the FF with a sponge ( get the gallon can)
    Twice I have heated --once with a blow dryer and once using my radiant space
    heater
    Heating and buffing will get me thru at least 40-60 drives
    Then I just hit it with spray can (warm the can or it doesnt spray well)

I started the year cleaning the cutter with a grinder and brush. Then I 'painted'
    it with 'Slip-plate' (graffite coating) used on county rigs for metal to metal lube.
    The cutter gets the FF coating and (being cold metal) it is harder to keep dirt
    (yes, plow means plow) from freezing to the cutter. The FF helps.

Busting off the snow and dirt from the cutter will help clean the board.

You considered sanding,..how about a buffer wheel ?? with FF ??
    tc