1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

8' 6" Western Pro Plow Service, tips?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by beemrmax, Sep 29, 2009.

1. beemrmax

beemrmax Junior Member

Finally picked up a plow, thx to all the help here. One finally popped up, I'd sorta given up hope of finding the right one.

Got an older cable operated Western 8' 6" Pro Plow, came with a truck attached, truck on the POS side (I hope it's not reading this...), but it's coming around after a day of tinkering.

Both been used, up by Newport WA by the same guy, plowing his long drive and some neighbors out for 19 years... Plow works awesome, still in one piece. I don't know if they make things this tough anymore? Total snow accumulation was 7' there last year. Guy's retiring next year and bought an fairly recent F350 Diesel with the same plow on it to make his life a little more comfortable

I was hoping to mount it on a 1970 Dodge 1 Ton Dually 4x4, the truck it's on is basically the same thing in a 2WD version, and although the whole mounting set-up is very sound, the bumper it's attached to is welded to the frame of the 2WD truck, so this will still be more of an ordeal than I'd planned for.... Or I can just plow with the 2WD truck chained up like he did, but... it's not even posi in the back, and my 4x4 IS, not to mention I just put real good tires on it, and have a full set of never used chains (all found on CL!),

Spent the day tinkering with the truck and plow, spent some time at a couple different plow shops. Picked up a some new quick release pins (the big ones), replaced all the linch pins I could, picked up 4 qts of Western Hi Perf fluid, and extra hose, QR coupler (was told it's very handy for bleeding out the side cylinders on a fluid change).

Which brings me to the questions.

What's an easy to follow/remember procedure for changing the fluid?

The guy I got the plow from mentioned using the "blue fluid" (judging by the truck, he wasn't real big on maintenance, but not totally neglectful either), and I want to thoroughly flush whatever's in the system and refill it.

My understanding is that it takes approximately 3 qts?

What's the best way to refill it, avoid air problems. What are a few of the other things I can do to make sure it's 100% for this winter?

The blade doesn't readily drop sometimes, not til swinging to the right or left depending on which way the blade's tilted. Actually seem that it like to lower better in the middle position.

Anyway, looks like we'll be plowing our own driveway this year, gonna be a whole lot more convenient than digging out a spot by the county road, and tobogganing your goods from the car to the house and vice versa all winter long.

Of course, Murphy's Law would assure an easy winter after going through this much trouble to get a plow, although all the predictions I've heard are for another tough winter!

I did copy a 40 page PDF of a manual I found online; ISARMATIC MarkIIIa form 13280 August 1993.

Thx!!!