1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

8' 6" straigh blade on a Ford DRW truck

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by MOW ME OVER, Jan 13, 2005.

1. MOW ME OVER

MOW ME OVER Senior Member

I bought a 8' 6" Boss straight blade for my 2002 F350 CC DRW 7.3 back in September and before I did I asked the company if it would clear the outside rear tires when it was fully angled and they said that It would by about 2 inches. Well today I checked the Boss web site and it says that at full angle it is 88 inches wide and I measured the outside of the rear tires today and they are about 94 inches wide. It sounds like I will have a problem when the plow is fully angled with my tires riding in the unplowed snow.

What do you guys think that have DRW trucks and this same size blade. This is my first season plowing and I really wanted to get used to the plow before I got any prowings but do you think I should just spend the $200.00 bucks now and mount them and just get used both them on the plow from the get go.

Let me know you thoughts please.

Justin

2. Dieselgeek

Dieselgeek Senior Member

Well my experience is a little different then yours, but I run a f350 dump with a 159'' wheelbase, and have an 8'6'' v plow on the front, and its not even remotely close to covering the rear tires when angled and turning. I would say it might clear the rear wheels about 2 inches when going straight, and any amount of turning, and you're in your own way.

3. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

They should have never sold you a 8.5' plow for a dually pickup. They're just not big enough.

Take it back and get a 9'er. Though they're only 93.5" wide.

That sounds like a WIDE dually, no? What size tires?

4. MOW ME OVER

They are the standard size tires for that truck. 235/85r16

I think its best if I just order a set of the prowings for the plow. At least I will be able to take them off when I need to and use them on the commercial propertys that I will be plowing.

5. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

If you haven't used the plow yet (looking at your location kinda verifies this), ask the dealer to trade you for a 9'er. It never hurts to ask.

6. MOW ME OVER

TLS I have been thinking about the plow size all today and I think that I will call them up on monday morning and not tell them who I am and just ask how much a 9 foot blade set up will cost without installation then drive over there with the plow on and see if they will take the blade back for a 9 footer plus the difference. I have not even registered the plow with Boss yet. I figure if I can get the 9 foot blade I will get used to that then see if a set of Pro wings are needed or will be usefull for my set up later on.

Thanks again for the info

Justin

7. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

That dealer really shouldn't have a problem with it. Especially if it hasn't been used yet. You may be able to just switch moldboards, as (don't quote me on this) the sector and A-frame should be the same between the 8.5 and 9 footers. 2 bolts, 4 springs, and one shock absorber, and you should be outa there in a half hour. Price shouldn't be much more either. Maybe a hundred or so.

Let us know how you make out.

8. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Even if they think you have used the pump part of the plow to much or they say it is now used, see if they will just switch the mould board. I would still get the pro wings. They are very usefull.

9. MOW ME OVER

If they do have the 9 foot blade in stock all I am trying to get is the 9 foot moldboard. Like TLS said the 9 foot should bolt rite up to the 8.5' frame.

I will let you all know what happened later on Monday some time.

10. MOW ME OVER

Well I just talked to the owner of the shop that I bought the plow from and he said no problem about taking the 8.5' blade back. It sounds like it will only be a difference of $50.00 or $100.00 to get the 9 foot blade. He did say that It will cost about $200 bucks to get it switched over if they do the labor.

I have never switched out a moldboard before. Can any of you tell me how hard it should be to do. All I need to do is get the moldboard unbolted and my brother will help me put it into the bed of the truck to transport.

Let me know please and thanks in advance

11. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I switched over a Western a few years ago. We had to undo the springs and take the A frame bolts off. It is very easy to do and if it is new then they should just undo. I would not pay $200 to have it done.

12. MOW ME OVER

Its actually kind of funny that they only charge $300.00 to install whole plow setup including wiring but they want $200.00 to switch over the blade only.

Like I said kind of funny.

13. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Should be no more than a 1/2 hour (thats by your self with wrenches). Using another guy and air tools, your talking minutes. It'll take longer for them to unbolt and lift the moldboard off the blade crate than it will to install it onto your headgear.

Ask them if there is a "special" time you can come over when they won't be swamped and ask if you "help" if they can adjust their price a bit more. After all, they shouldn't have installed it with a plow that narrow to begin with.

Good luck!