1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

8.6 proplus problems *pics included*

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by suzuki0702, Feb 14, 2010.

1. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

This blade is only two years old. It hasnt been abused too bad, but i recall there was always this gap between the quadrant and a-frame. If I heat the a-frame tongue up and smash it back to clearance with a sledge hammer, is the metal going to get weak? obviosly i have to replace the bolt, but when you tap the angle right or left, theres a lot of play at the bottom. You can see the blade wobbles around down there. Also it pops and bangs when stacking. Please help wanna get this straightened out before next storm. I have a welder and torches just need to know what to do. thanks!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

did the bolt loosen up? i dont see how it could have bent when theres a bolt to hold it somewhat tight. i would heat it up and crank on the bolt to close the gap.

3. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

I just repaired one of mine. It was doing exactly the same thing. We took it apart and found that the hole in the quadrant was super oblong. Ground out the hole with a die grinder and "sleeved" the hole with a piece of 1" ID pipe. Welded it in place, just gotta make sure to get the angle right. Replaced the bolt with a new 1"-8 X 9" bolt and nylon lock nut, and she's good as new.

4. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

must of. bought the plow off a guy in virginia who barely used it, but im thinking the dealer that sold it to him never tightened it completely because that gap is a good half inch. ive got fat little fingers!:laughing: if i heat that steal up, its not going to get weaker and crack there eventually is it? i still think i need to sleeve the quadrant like cubicinches said cause i can see it moving around pretty good there, probably going to take it to a welding shop for that!

5. cubicinches

I think some space, vertically, between the A-frame and quadrant is normal. We shimmed mine up tighter with some 1" washers when we reassembled it. I'll bet you're having the same problem that I did. If you get it apart, you'll find the hole is all ovaled out.

Between sleeving the hole, and shimming up some of the space you're talking about, mine is really nice now... tight and right!

6. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

tight like the first night? lol...how big of a job was sleeving the quadrant? i think the bolt threads may have stretched, causing the gap to get bigger.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2010
  7. cubicinches

The sleeve job wasn't bad. Probably took less than two hours total. Granted, I've got a pretty well equipped shop, but it wasn't a ton of work.

And, It ain't been tight like the first night in maaany years bud!! :D

8. Plowfixguys

Plowfixguys Senior Member

If you sleeve the quadrant is there enough room for a grease fitting? Would be nice to be able to grease the pivot, would last a lot longer, similar to the Meyes trip pivots, when ever we repair them we put a grease fitting in the sleeve.

9. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

i was thinking the same thing, not sure where id put it though. im going to go tear it apart here soon. let you guys know, i appreciate all the help cubicinches. ya know they make a gel for the first night thing!!:drinkup:

10. cubicinches

Unfortunately, the sleeve goes through the center of that bulky section of the quadrant. No way to get a fitting in there. Suzuki, you'll see what I mean when you get yours apart.

Anyway, it's 5 or 6 years old. If it lasts that long again, it'll be somebody else's problem by then.

11. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

i just looked at mine. theres maybe a 1/8 gap there. theres a mark on the steel toward the plow side where it rubs a little. i dont think its supose to be a real snug fit.

12. cubicinches

Exactly. I agree.

13. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

i jsut ended up replacing the bolt, the quadrant was fine. it was the a-frame that was all hogged out, wasnt too bad tho. spent more time finding the bolt than fixing it. i swear i called every bolt dealer, plow dealer in northeast ohio. but i found it and bought an extra.

14. cubicinches

That's cool. Did you do anything to repair the A-frame?

Actually, I couldn't believe it, but the first place I went to had that bolt. I was amazed!

15. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

no i didnt even mess with it.. the top of the a-frame was the affected area. i was expecting a total catastrophe from what you guys were telling me. im thinking in the summer im going to get a plate welded on top and just drilled through. maybe i caught it in time!? the bolt was pretty bent up ( i have hit a few curbs and high aprons). i put a washer in the top section of the large gap where my finger was in the previous pictures. all in all im pretty satisfied with it so far, we'll see how it works tonight!! heres the bolt, im amazed such a large bolt can bend like that. 1" x 9" long

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

To fix your a-frame problem I bought some 1' id pipe and cut 1" long pieces and welded them on the top and bottom of the a frame. For your grease zerk question, I also sleeved the quad but I cut out the brace that wraps around where the bolt goes through the frame and quad. Then i welded a piece of the 1" pipe inbetween the quad. I don't have a tap so I drilled a hole in the sleeve and tig wwelded a 1/4-28 nut over the hole. Finally I cut a hole if the brace from the quad that I removed so I could fit the grease gun. You will need a longer bolt for the bushings on th aframe. It was a goood amount of work but now I feel it was done right.

Not sure how to load pics it may be confusing without them, the western dealer was even impressed with teh grease fittings.

17. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

im confused!!! lol goto imageshack.com

upload em there then click the mountain button above the reply text box and insert the direct link to the picture....

18. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

I'll have to talk to the girlfriend and see if she can take the pics, for being only 26 I should be better with technology, sorry. If you really need to see them I could take pics on phone and text them to u.

19. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

Tony350

On the "quick reply" click "Go Advance"..On the the top u will see a "smiley", then a "paper clip". Hit the little down "arrow" after the paper clip, and a box call "Manage attachments". Click on the "browse" button". were ever you put your pictures ( I save mine to my desk top and I make sure they are JPEG). click on the picture then click the upload ( make sure they are 640x480.that is a good size).
    Then click the paper clip again, and you will see your pictures (what ever you name them. (ex; Aframe.JPEG). when you done, click"Submit reply". All done

Don't forget you have to be in the "Advance" to do it..

Last edited: Feb 15, 2010