1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

8-6 pro plus too heavy?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by mule585, Dec 7, 2011.

1. mule585

mule585 Member

hey guys im looking to put my 8-6 pro plus on my 98 k2500. wondering if you guys think this is too heavy of a plow for this truck. the truck has the 8 lug wheels i have the torsion bars cranked a little and have timbrens on the front. also have 600lbs in sand bags behind the rear axle. any info would be great thanks

2. White Duramax

White Duramax Junior Member

Should be fine, I have seen lots with 9.2 v plows on them.

3. TomsSnowPlowING

TomsSnowPlowING Senior Member

like to see some pictures. Of what plow your getting on the truck.

4. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I have the 8.6 pro plus w/wings its heavy mine is on a F350 with added leafs in the front but I run a 8'' 5/8 with extra wear bars cutting edge so with the OEM cutting edge you probably be just fine

5. mule585

mule585 Member

this plow is off of my f350 i sold that truck (money pit) some people were telling me its too heavy for my 2500. western says it too heavy but the 8' pro plus isnt. theres a 15lbs difference between the 2. but if i had the 350ci and not the 454ci i could put the 9' pro plus on it. it just dont make sense to me. ill get pics up later today

6. TomsSnowPlowING

Is that the same Ford f350 listed in the signature below your reply?

7. mule585

mule585 Member

yup it is i just havent removed it from my signature. i traded it in last week to a chevy dealer and they called me 3 days later pissed because i didnt tell them all the problems with it. all they had to do was put it on a lift and see the oil pan was shot the u-joint shot, ball joints shot lol they drove it and said it looked good but now they have to take it to a ford dealer and have alot of work done to it before they can sell it lol

8. TomsSnowPlowING

What you get for that when you trade it in?

9. TomsSnowPlowING

The local chevy dealer here knock off $2,000.00 of asking price for my 2004. Due to I do not trade in my old truck.

10. Bigcat99

Bigcat99 Senior Member

Obviously not going to void any warranty on the truck, and 15lbs...not even a half bag of salt! All the plows you mentioned are heavy. Parts are going to wear out on the truck eventually. But how the vehicle is driven/used, will be more of a factor than those extra 15lbs.

11. mule585

mule585 Member

pics

heres the pics

IMAG0485.jpg

IMAG0486.jpg

IMAG0487.jpg

12. linycctitan

linycctitan Senior Member

I wouldn't sweat the extra 15lbs, and it's not like the extra 6" is going to be a drastic difference in snow load. Looks like a good setup, but could sure use a new cutting edge! :)

13. TomsSnowPlowING

Nice truck

Looking good.
    We getting some snow now Coating to an inch.

14. TomsSnowPlowING

Looks like your ready

Looks like your ready for the snow.

15. Lawn 'N' Order

Lawn 'N' Order Member
    from IL

You should be fine. I have a Wideout on my 97 k2500. Torsion bars are cranked and thats it. Does squat when you lift the plow but as long as you take it easy no problems. Had it on for 2 seasons now and have not had to do any front end work so far.

Iphone 002.jpg

16. Lawn 'N' Order

Lawn 'N' Order Member
    from IL

Forgot to metion also have bigger tires on it as well. Been one of my better trucks. Can't beat the old Chevy's

17. TomsSnowPlowING

Truck looks like a 1991. Nice plow

18. mule585

mule585 Member

got to use it yesterday morning for the 2in we got. truck handles it just fine only thing i cant raise it all the way i need some type of air flow goin to the front of the truck lol. and for the cutting edge that was put on an hr after those pics were taken i was waiting for my western dealer to call and tell me they had the backdrag edge delivery.

19. mule585

mule585 Member

ha just noticed i have a light out ha. i would love to have a wide out just not in the budget for now

20. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

How much did you pay for a cutting edge