1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

8.5 straight blade blows 10 amp fuse

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by flykelley, Nov 18, 2009.

1. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Hi Guys
    8.5 Boss straight blade worked fine when I hooked it up from the back garage this am, went to unhook it up at the main garage put it in float and started to lower the tower and about 1/2 way down it stopped. No power to the handheld controller 10 amp fuse from the battery is blown, replace it and the same thing. It is ok until I put it in float mode and then it blows the fuse. I even cycled the blade up and down and left to right when I hooked it up and everything was ok. Any ideas on where to start?

Thanks MIke

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Harness is probably rubbed through somewhere. First see if it's a plow side or truck side issue. Disconnect the 13 pin plug at the bumper and try the lower button again. If it still blows the fuse then you know the issue is on the truck side. Start at the controller and trace the harness to the 13 pin plug looking for any rough spots.

If after disconnecting the plug it no longer blows the fuse then you know the problems on the plow side. Same procedure, follow it from the 13 pin plug in through the light tower grommet (paying special attention there) in to the lower valve following the orange wire. Also check the orange between the lower valve and the SH switch.

3. flykelley

Thanks for a starting point B&B, will start on it on friday. We let everybody know what I find.

Regards Mike

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Good luck and keep us posted on your discovery Mike. :salute:

5. flykelley

Hi Guys
    I found the problem, when I was lowering the tower the wire harness got pinched and exposed a few wires. Will take pictures before I start the repair sometime tomorrow. B&B thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Regards Mike

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Good find Mike. If you plowside harness is a little too long pull the pump cover off and pull some of the excess inside the light tower, then place a large wire tie around it to keep the excess in there. Saves the situation you found yourself in.