1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

8.5 Pro Plus

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by KC2LLW, Jan 11, 2011.

1. KC2LLW

KC2LLW Member

I am a looking into getting a 8.5 pro plus next week for my 2002 F350 Diesel dually can anyone tell me if this is a good choice for my truck? i will be plowing driveway only.
    thanks
    Steve

2. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

I have that exact plow on my truck but it is a single wheel. I have a ext. cab with a long box. Not sure what cab you have but you may want to think a bout a 9ft otherwise you maybe running over your windrow with your outside dual. Otherwise I love my plow. May also want to think of getting a hinged back drag bar, I have one and think it is priceless for doing driveways.

3. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

that is a great plow. if your only doing your own driveway i would go with a 7.5' pro plow and save a few bucks. the pro plus is more for big commercial plowing.

4. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

You'll want at least a 9 footer for a dually truck. I wouldn't waste such a fine snow pushing machine with just a straight blade either. I'd look at a Vee or some wings.

5. KC2LLW

KC2LLW Member

Thanks for the info, I'm thinking the 9" maybe to large for driveways my truck is a crew cab 8' bed so its long I have a choice of hand held or joy stick controller is one any better than the other?
    Thanks
    Steve

6. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

Are you doing just your own drive, or are you turning this into a business? If you're going to start doing driveways (plural) You way may want a shorter truck to try to maneuver.

7. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

THe controller is up to you do you have any preference to one get that. I like the joysticks that what I learned with. THe only benefit to me with the stick is it goes right into float once you hit lower.

Just a thought if you are set on going only 8-6 you might want to consider getting only a pro not a pro plus. It is a little cheaper and it will hang closer to the truck. My dad has a pro and I am always amazed when I get in on close the plow is to the truck. Let us know what you end up with.

8. KC2LLW

KC2LLW Member

Tony350
    Thanks for the info, so the Pro sit closer to the truck then the Pro plus? I have a crew cab 8' dually the truck is really long and worried about moving around in driveways I think I could get a pro for $4695 installed.

9. slongfellowii

slongfellowii Senior Member

I would only get a Pro Plus if you plan on buying the Western wings or want a 9 footer. Also, the Plus plow has a problem breaking cylinders because the quadrant does not have stops on it.

10. KC2LLW

KC2LLW Member

slongfellowii you would recommend the 8.5 pro? I really only plan on doing 6 driveways i was first thinking pro plus but now it seem i should just go pro

11. captadamnj

captadamnj Senior Member

Sent you a PM, we should talk.

12. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

U am not sure in the new pro series 2 but the standard pros do sit closer to the truck. I would assume the new ones do to. If you only plan on doing a few driveways I would definetly get the pro. I think the pluses roll snow a little better but you really won't be doing big lots and rolling snow.

13. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Regarding the controller... handheld or joystick. I find the handheld works better mainly because you can keep it in you hand when you are working / shifting from forward to reverse. With the joystick you have to reach over every time you want to move or chance elevation. I am not sure about the joystick going directly to float. I thought both were the same in that you have to put the plow all the way down and then hold it in down position for a moment longer until the green float light comes on. Another advantage of the hand held is that you can unplug it and throw it in the glove box in the summer whereas the joystick is permanently mounted. Where I work the hands down choice is the handheld.

One thing to note on your choice of plow is the fact that you have a diesel. The gas engine is sooo much lighter that it allows you to mount so many heavier plows. The diesel is much more limited. Many of our customers buy the truck first and then come for the plow only to realize that this decision has eliminated many options. But in your case you already have the truck so I suppose it is irrelivent. Just good to know for anyone else reading this thread.

14. mule585

mule585 Member

I have a f350 ext cab with a 8ft dump bed. It's got the 8.5 pro plus really don't have any problems with it. The only time I run over the windrow is with the blade fully angled making a tight inside turn if I straighten the blade I normally don't run it over all in all great plow. Because of the weight it scrapes cleaner and backdrags better than others that I've used

15. KC2LLW

KC2LLW Member

Mule585,
    Thanks for the input I order a 8.5 Pro plow yesterday and should have it installed next week. I have the diesel so weight was an issue my truck is a dually with crew cab and 8' bed so its long I just really am doing my own drive and maybe a few more I have a Suzuki atv Vinson 500 with a 60" plow but I am getting tired of toying around and sitting out in the cold and elements when I could be in a nice warm dry truck listening to the radio.

16. MGardner

MGardner Senior Member

Had a proplus 8.5` for three years of commercial plowing . Handheld joystick all the way. Beat this thing and handled huge 22 hour non-stop plowing on big rough lots as well as little stuff. Mines a 3500 Dodge DRW diesel. Knock on wood it has never failed or broken and its been treated ROUGH . ive run lesser plows and they aren`t even close to what thsi straight plow will do. See al lot of V`s out there but just never wanted the extra moving parts and they look heavy. Oh and on gravel its a dream with the two hanger chains just bump it up and skim over the top .

17. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

"I am not sure about the joystick going directly to float. I thought both were the same in that you have to put the plow all the way down and then hold it in down position for a moment longer until the green float light comes on. Another advantage of the hand held is that you can unplug it and throw it in the glove box in the summer whereas the joystick is permanently mounted. Where I work the hands down choice is the handheld."

With the joystick it goes right in to float that is what I use. You don't have to hard mount your joystick. I made a wooden bracket and use that glue on velcro to hold the controller to the wood. I also take my controller out in the summer. Just a few more ideas fo rthe old joystick. If someone where to start plowing with no experience I would push them to the handheld, I am just used to what I learned.

18. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

I had the chance to work on a Western heavyweight plow that had a joystick today. When I hit down momentarely and then let go the plow continued to drop all the way and did in deed go direclty to float. Can't say I like that though as I needed to drop the plow just a bit to allow the headlights to shine over as it was setup too high. I also noticed that up and down were backwards to the action of the plow. Push ahead to go up and pull back to go down. I would rather push it forward to go down and pull back to go up. I suppose you would get used to it. Still I would recommend the handheld any day. The felcrow thing is a good idea, I may have to use that for customers who want the joystick but would like to remove it. Thanks...

19. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

All of my friends agree the up/down is counter intuitive. I was talking to my uncle about it he has been plowing for years he figured it is this way because when they switched to unimounts years ago they would screw them to the dash vertical, mounted like this up is up and down is down. Horizontal it does seem weird.

One guy on hear ran heavy equipment and it was so backward he turned th econtroller around and switched his hoses. I will agree with you startign out all over I wish I would ahve learned with a hand held.