1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

8' 5" Pro Plus my fourth and last

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by hydro 1, Dec 30, 2010.

1. hydro 1

hydro 1 Junior Member

Hello all,
    I have a 8.5 foot pro plus straight blade. It has a considerable amount of play in the center bolt already and has very limited use. I took it to my dealer and a first they said wow that is a problem. Then they pulled the center bolt use a micrometer on it and consulted western. Western came back and said that it is within spec. So what I have is a new 6500.00 plow that rattles worse than my old unimounts do. It is not a huge deal, but what is a big deal is the way it was handled. This is my fourth plow from western and most likely my last.
    Just wondering if anyone else has seen any issues with the pro plus.
  2. Mxrider069

Mxrider069 Member

My 9' pro plus has the EXACT same problem. I pay 5k for a blade i wore out in a year, kinda BS if you ask me
  3. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

This a unimount or ultramount?
  4. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

There was no Proplus version for the Unimount.
  5. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

I know exactly what you mean. I've got one that is about six years old. I've taken it apart once and sleeved the A-frame. It's worn out again. I believe they changed the design of the newer A-frames so that it is a solid sleeve (like the repair I made to mine) that the pivot bolt rides in. On mine, the A frame only supported the bolt at the top and bottom, so it wore pretty bad over time. But, Like I said... mine is worn out again, even with the solid sleeve in the A-frame. I know what you mean... It rattles around, but it doesn't really affect it's operation. It's just a snowplow. I just live with it now. Honestly, when it comes to straight blades, I prefer the regular pro series plows. I own/have owned dozens of them with relatively few issues.
  6. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

I posted a repair thread that deals with this and other isues sometime last year it was titled, for all ultramount owners. I will bump it up so you can see the solutions to your problems.
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2011
  7. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

I sleeved mine and I welded 1 inch bushings on the top[ and bottom of the aframe and that tightened it all up and if it loosens again it will be an easy fix. Cut off the old bushings and weld new ones on.
  8. hydro 1

hydro 1 Junior Member

its not that I cannot repair it, it is that western is not standing behind it. That is my arguement, if someone calls you back on your workmanship you are not going to tell a repeat customer that it is within spec? You are going to make them happy. Or they will find the next guy down the street doing to hire next time. Well here's my message to western. I am going down the street.
  9. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

Sorry I didn't mean to offend you. I also hate when a company won't stand behind there product. Every maker has its fair share of problems, hope you have better luck with your next plow, no matter the brand.
  10. hydro 1

hydro 1 Junior Member

Thanks Tony i was not affended just angry at western.
  11. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

mines a little loose too, i think i may try putting some grease in there to slow down the wear. i really do like the pro plus as it scrapes great and really can move some snow. i hope western fixes the problem.
  12. bucky6981

bucky6981 Member

Too bad Western doesn't look at sites like this to see how "real world" folks really feel about their products.
  13. SMillerHD

SMillerHD Member
    from IN

x2, I was Western's biggest fan and over the years found myself liking the other red plow more and more, must not be just me because it used to be Western territory here and now they are a dieing breed. I must say the Contractor grade plows look beefy. I think both red plow makers could use some tricks off each others plows and have perfect blades.

The A-frame of the Contractor grade plow is insane! Wish Boss would follow suit.