1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

8.5' or 9.5'???

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by RacingZR, Nov 14, 2009.

1. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

Hey all, nice site you guys have here! Looking for opinions from guys with v-plow experience. I just bought a 03 Dodge Ram 2500 quad cab/short box with the Hemi. I'll be buying a SS Fisher v plow for it shortly. I'm wondering if I am better off with the 8.5' or 9.5 ??? I'd like to get the 9.5' for an extra $200 but is that too much plow for that 3/4 ton?? I'm sure I will get a bunch of opinions but thats what I want! Thanks

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

If it was a Ford I'd go with the 9.5 ,but being a Dodge go with the 8.5. It's not how big a plow, it's how well you plow with it.

3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I have an 8.5. Many times I wish I had bought the bigger plow. Will be adding wings this year.

4. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

Well that makes it 1-1. I have been plowing for years now and I'm no expert but I have been using an older 1 ton GMC with an 8' Fisher QS setup for quite some time.
    Plowing mostly driveways. My personal driveway is a 3/4 mile long hill so it can get tricky. But I figure the v-plow is perfect for it seeing how it is a 20'+ wide driveway/road.
    Originally I was leaning towards the 8.5' but when I saw the marginal proce difference I figured it was worht getting some opinions. Keep'em coming. I'm no loyal Dodge man, just got a great deal. If the 8.5' is a better fit than thats what I need to know. Thanks!

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

9.5 no questions asked.....

6. buddymanzpop

buddymanzpop Senior Member

You know the saying, "Go big or go home".

7. wdcs1

wdcs1 Member

9.5 fisher extreme ss on my 01 dodge 2500 diesel. only on 1 year no problems yet. Lift arm on the plow almost wore through though. But that's a plow issue.

8. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

definitely a 9.5'er we run plows out to 8'6" on our toyota trucks and they do fine, I have a 8'4" v on my ford f350 and its way too damn small, every storm I kick myself for getting the smaller one.

9. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

You don't happen to have a pic of that? Did the holes for the lift piston pin just mushroom out to nothing?

10. wdcs1

wdcs1 Member

Here it is had to send it to fisher for warranty. Not sure if you can see it well or not. rust above pin has started to mushroom not to bad yet but that is only 1 season wanted to send it in before warranty ran out this winter and will send it in again next spring if waring

puppies 031.JPG

11. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

No kidding, nice pic. That's a little scary. Did Fisher ever say anything about addressing that issue??

12. wdcs1

wdcs1 Member

haven't really herd from fisher. Dealer I bought the plow from said he would replace it either way. New one should be here this week. I will call dealer when it gets here and will ask them what fisher said

13. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

Thanks man, I would appreciate that. Sounds like you got a good dealer there. Anyone I know around here in western Maine swears by Fisher. Never seen that problem before and I got friends plowing logging roads with their pickups!

14. wdcs1

wdcs1 Member

New lift arm came today. Called my dealer to ask what fisher said. He told me he hasn't had time to deal with fisher yet. Nice to have such great service from a dealer. Even better when it's not even a local supplier. When I bought my plows they had to ship them to me. All ways love it when you get a great deal on something and you even end up with great service. I saved $1100 even after paying shipping.

15. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

9.5 plow unless you do a lot of drive threws. When I plowed with my bosses 9.5 Fisher V I could never get through the drive threws even when it was in scoop or V.

16. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

No doubt haaving a good dealer is very important no matter what you're buying!

Seems like the general consensus on here is 9.5'. I got a chance to check out both side by side and the 9.5' certainly is a BIG plow. Price is around $5750 for the 8.5' and $6100 for the 9.5'. I've got about another week to decide so keep'em coming!

:drinkup:

17. wdcs1

wdcs1 Member

I just picked up a 8.5 extreme v for $5250 with shipping. Shipped from east somewhere. The 9.5 was around 300ish more. Came with truck side mount and wire harness for your year of truck. Also came with the fish stick hand held control and a gallon of hyd. oil at that price. Don't know if I can post the web site on here. Can someone tell me if that is allowed or not. Don't want to get typed at.

18. SuperdutyShane

SuperdutyShane PlowSite.com Addict

Send it to him in a private message just in case the moderators dont want it to be public.

19. wdcs1

wdcs1 Member

OK if you don't here from me again you will know not to send it private either

20. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

Thanks man, I should have mentioned that was installed prices, out the door. Right in line though......