1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

8.5 or 9.5 v on dually

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by onlythebest, Oct 4, 2015.

1. onlythebest

onlythebest Junior Member

Trading in my 2500 gas for a diesel dually
    So I've got two questions that I'm sure may have been answered but wanted some feedback on the new Rams' front ends

First, my ram was a 6.4 hemi so the western quick match thing said any plow will fit. How with the new one being diesel it seems it's pretty slim pickings with my plow options. I will be selling off the old plow (well basically brand new) which is a 8.5 mvp3 ss as it's cheaper and easier to just switch it all over to my buddy's new truck (16' 2500 6.4) and buy new again as the mounts and wiring would be different for me. So I guess my question is how do I find out what I can actually run on the new truck?

Secondly, is a v or wideout my better choice on a dually?

I didn't plow last year as I work on an oil rig in the winters. But as it stands now my position is filled by a more senior employee of the drilling company and when a spot opens in 3 weeks I'm not sure if they will give it back to me. I should find out within the week so I should have time to fill my route. My dad just did a few drives for fun last winter.

Anyways, excited for he new one to come. 6-8 weeks is going to feel like forever

2. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

I would go with a wide-out. They move a crap ton of snow.

3. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

Either way you want 9.5 . Any less will put plowed snow under your duals.

4. onlythebest

Ok now are driveways out of the question now with cclb? Even with a pull plow?

5. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

Are the drive winding country lanes or short straight shots?Depends on how much agrivation you can tolerate. Nothing is impossible but the longer the truck the harder it wifi be to plow.

6. onlythebest

Mostly 4 to 6 car small driveways il have to be more selective in what I take on and only take ones where they park in the garage

7. truckitup

truckitup Senior Member

I own all three of those plows 9.5 MVP-3, 8.5MVP-3, with wings and a Wideout. with that truck and doing driveways I would run the 9.5 MVP-3. If you were in bigger lots the 8.5 MVP3 with wings will move more snow faster and is wider 10.4 wide.

I see some people put the 9.5MVP-3 with wings with a dully, now that will move some snow.

8. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

You can put any plow you want to on that truck. I've got a 9'-6" V on my three quarter ton and it handles it well. The snow plow selector for all manufacturers won't let you choose that option because the diesel is already heavy on the front end, but you can do it without problems. Some shops may not install it for you due to liability issues. So you'll either have to find one that will, or install it yourself.

9. tastebeer

tastebeer Member

8.5 or 9.5 for 3500

I would definitely go with a 9.5 especially if this is a PU and not a cab and chassis, the track width on PU's is wider than on cab chassis and you will be running over plowed snow.