1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

8.5' MVP Cutting Edge 3/8"

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by greyst1, Oct 3, 2010.

1. greyst1

greyst1 Member
    from 44720

Anyone have any issues with the cutting edge only being 3/8"? Are the replacements 1/2"? Also, any concerns that the blade is 14 gauge? Is this plow still robust like the Pro Plus? I wonder why the reduction in steel. Maybe weight.... I just ordered one and i'm worried about the performance
  2. vegaman04

vegaman04 Senior Member

If you concerned about metal gauge size, why didn't you get the pro? Pro is 11 gauge, pro plus is 12 gauge and MVP plus is 14. What you have to look at the big picture of how the plow is constructed, you can have a thicker mold board but if its not backed up by a better frame, its gonna act like a kite and fold up regardless of the gauge. Cutting edges need to get replaced, all matters of on how much you use it and if you had down pressure, you would be replacing it even more regardless of the thickness. You made a good choice, don't sweat it.
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2010
  3. greyst1

greyst1 Member
    from 44720

I bought the MVP because I want a v plow and I knew western plows are teat. Just didn't see that the plow was 14 gauge.
  4. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

I think there are more ribs on the v plows so you can get by with thinner sheet metal. A 3/8 cutting edge will work fine but it will were out a little faster because there is 25% less metal on the edge. Once it wears out I would get 1/2 inch ones.