1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

8.5 Convensional questions

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Lowes, Jan 22, 2007.

1. Lowes

Lowes Member
    from Mo

Can I reused my 8.5 Convensional moldboard and A frame on a unimount?
    I have a 03 Chevy that I adapted an older convensional cable operated plow to the truck to get by this winter. The pump is weak, and I don't like the pump and frame on the newer style truck. I wanted to buy a newer style undercarrige, pump, and truck side wiring.
  2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You'll also need the Unimount A-frame as the conventional A-frame won't have any of the provision's or bracketry to fit the Unimount lift frame you want to add although it is possible to modify your current A-frame to accept the lift frame.If you can do the fabrication yourself it would save you some money by not having to purchase a new one but if you'd have to pay somebody to do it then it'd probably be more cost effective to go ahead and purchase a new or used one.
  3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

You can use the blade as is.
    The a-frame needs heavily modified
    With the cost of all the bits and pieces, hydraulic power head, truck and plow wiring, lift frame, light brackets, all the mounting brackets for the truck, controls, adapters, freight, etc, a complete plow set-up could be cheaper
  4. Lowes

Lowes Member
    from Mo

yeah I figured in the long run it would be easier and cheaper to pickup a good used ultramount with truckside wiring. Save the old plow and A frame to adapt to a skidsteer.