1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

8.2 RTII help!!

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by BEER TIME, Apr 8, 2010.

1. BEER TIME

BEER TIME Member

I just bought this used plow and the guy said the left wing would retract b y
    itself, he said its not problem its happened before and one of the lines is clogged. anyway after reading more on this site i figure it was electrical. i cleaned the truck and check for power. i have power everywhere except for the left wing retract. and now it just clicks when i push anything for any movement unless i jump the silinoid. whats going on new to plowing?

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Since it's now dead in the water and you have to jump the under hood solenoid to get anything did you then check for power on the solenoid activation wire? If so and you have it (and the solenoid itself is grounded) then the solenoid is dead.

However, if you don't have power on that activation wire then you have a connection issue between the controller (rocker box style I'm assuming) and the solenoid. A few quick tests with a test light will tell you a lot.

3. BEER TIME

BEER TIME Member

Thanks B&B. This is my first plow so please bare with me. I'm going to try and find a solenoid today and try that to get me back where I was. Then Im going to figure out why there is no power to the left wing retract. Any help with this would be great, theres power everywhere except there, Is there power from on the pump side, or just on the truck side. Thanks for the help, wireing is not my strong side!

4. BEER TIME

BEER TIME Member

Ok guys its not the solenoid! what next it still clicks

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Will it run if you jump across the solenoid? If even the new solenoid just clicks then you should be going over all the cable connections as it sounds like battery power and/or ground isn't getting to the plow.

Make sure the solenoid itself has good ground as well. And then also check the activation wire on the solenoid for FULL battery voltage when a raise or wing out function is pressed.

6. BEER TIME

BEER TIME Member

got everything up and running, bad power connection. still the left wing wont retract but i think i found the bad connect for that, the plow and truck connector. thanks for your help. could you tell me whats the general rule of thumb when it comes to maintanaince? thanks

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Good to hear it's working. Most electrical issues are due to a poor connection, especially those that appear ok. That's why it's always recommend to physically check each and every one thoroughly. :waving:

Same as any other plow, keep all connections clean and use an occasional application of dielectric grease on them as needed, keep all the fastens tight, the fluid changed annually and the center hinge pin greased and it should live many years to come while providing good reliability along the way. There's also a ton of little tips and trick specific to the V's here in the Boss forum pertaining specifically to maintenance so don't be afraid to do a little searching here.