1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

8.2 poly v broken return spring

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Custom Install, Feb 22, 2011.

1. Custom Install

Custom Install Junior Member

I have broken both return springs this season about 1 week apart it happened when the plow dropped to the pavement. just wondering if anyone else ever had this problem plow is about 3 years old

2. JohnRoscoe

JohnRoscoe Senior Member

Springs break, but at least they're cheap. When it's icey like it has been this season, everything wears faster, and springs are the first thing to fail.

3. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

The springs take a lot of wear and tear and like John said, the springs are the first to go, and cheap about $10.00 ea.
    Welcome to plowsite.

4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I always carry extra return springs in the truck. Plus a few extra long eye bolts.

5. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

I broke a spring at the end of last season and one mid season this year. Keep a spare on hand as stated, they're only about $20 or so. They just wear and break!

6. Custom Install

Custom Install Junior Member

Thanks a lot guys wasn't sure if anyone else had ever had that problem.

7. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Make sure you get the 17 5/8 inch springs. Those are the proper length for return springs. The trip springs are 14 and some odd inches. When you tighten the springs down you want to make sure you can just barely fit a business card or piece of paper between the coils.

8. grandview

Just broke one tonight. Maybe I'll fix it tomorrow or in Nov.

9. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

52 Monday Grandview. I'm looking forward to it!

10. grandview

Just fixed mine,about 5 minutes and that included a coffee break.

broken boss spring.jpg

broken boss spring2.jpg

11. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

hey GV....ever heard of FF????
    that plows looks rusty to me

12. grandview

10 years in Buffalo with salt, it's trying to get back to it's natural elements.

13. qualitycut

qualitycut PlowSite Fanatic

I break a few a year the last one went flying and is still MIA after a 10 minute search.

14. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Had one break and clanged into a school bus at my First Student bus account.Lucky it didn't take out a window.

15. coyote

coyote Member
    from montana

I just broke one too on my boss v blade. Noticed that the holes, that the springs hook into, are wearing. Has anyone had that problem? Plow is 3 yrs old.

16. grandview

Yes. look at yours and then look at the pictures in my post above ,reinforced then so the holes don't oval out.

17. Dewey

Dewey Senior Member

On my plow I put a clevis as large as I could put inand then hook the spring onto it , becuase I noticed mine were breaking on that side more often,,,, I haven't had as many problems since.

18. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

welcome to the world of crappy boss springs. i BRAKE 1 TO 2 A YEAR AND THEY always BRAKE IN THE SAME PLACE kinda makes you think maybe there is a manufacturing problem. but will boss fix it, NO, they can sell more springs this way.

19. grandview

Don't tighten the springs to much ,you just need enough to bring the wing back.Also any type of spring works.I even use the Meyer ones.

20. coyote

coyote Member
    from montana

Thanks Dewey...was also thinking of a sleeve in the frame part.